What about the Catholic Church affirming gay activity and selling annulments?

What is Gay affirming? Does this mean that the Church accepts homosexuality? If so, under what biblical or Canon law?

When my daughter married I would not let her gay friends step on the alter. Was I wrong.

One of them told me that homosexuals are now accepted into the Church and also that there are Gay Roman Catholic Churches. Is this right?

Also, I have a family member who cheated on her husband with numerous other men. Finally her husband divorced her, due to infidelity. She then moved in with one of these men for a year and then remarried in a Catholic Church. I was told by other family members that they bought the annulment. Could this be true?

How could this be, I though infidelity was a sin? Has the Church changed their position on this as well?

I don’t want to believe it, but it seems like Church is taking a more moderate position on sin?

Dear friend,

“Gay affirming” and “Gay friendly” are terms used by parishes that violate the teachings of the Catholic Church regarding sexuality. The Catholic Church has not changed its teaching regarding genital expression between members of the same sex or between heterosexuals with persons other that their spouses.

You have, unfortunately, been listening to the wrong people. What you read here is what the Church actually teaches. The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches: “Lust is disordered desire for or inordinate enjoyment of sexual pleasure. Sexual pleasure is morally disordered when sought for itself, isolated from its procreative and unitive purposes.” (#2351)

Your relative may have lied to the marriage tribunal. A stipend is usually paid for the work and postage involved in the investigations necessary to ascertain that an annulment is possible. But one doesn’t buy one’s way into an annulment.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.