What about the Catholic Senators who voted down the conscience clause

I suppose if I were very charitable, which I am not, I could almost see a glimmer of an arguement for those Catholic politicians who say they have to uphold the existing laws on abortion. That’s a big maybe.

But I can see no glimmer, no scintilla of justification for a Catholic Senator to vote down the right of people to opt out of performing abortions. The slaughter machine is very effective now and does not need to coerce people into compliance. Over 50 million have already been executed, so what harm does it to to force every health care provider in those specialties to join in the executions?

To my mind this is a far more eggregious offense than anything else I have seen. So why aren’t there excommunications coming from the Bishops? As Catholics we have backed ourselves into a corner of irrelevancy by not adhering to the teachings of the magisterium. Can it really hurt us to lose a few million members, but be left with a minority that really believes? Is not speaking out against these Senators not the equivalent of appeasement? Do our Bishops need a backbone transfusion?

This would be another serious offense against God for a Catholic. But have any “Catholic” politicians actually voted this down?

I wrote to my 2 ‘catholic’ senators re: their vote NO on this. (Murray & Cantwell) I have written our archbishop previously on their blatantly pro abortion votes/actions. He, the archbishop, has never called them out and I think it is time.

Actually 9 out of the 25 voted against it including one Democrat Casey of Pennsylvania. Other than that it broke down across party lines.

I will need to find out what diocese Sen. Menendez ( D-NJ ) is in, and then write the bishop of that diocese.

If the church is going to deny communion to politicians who vote against church teachings, shouldn’t communion be denied to people who knowingly voted for those politicians?

I suppose that works in theory, but it can’t be enforced since the votes are confidential and anonymous.

yes, but they could out and out state that those people shouldnt recieve. will everyone listen of course not, but they will have done their duty and maybe kept some people from sinning, and maybe just maybe get some voters to reconsider their priorities.

I don’t understand why these “Catholic” Senators call themselves Catholic. They have no interest in following the Church’s teachings or living a Catholic lifestyle, so what is the point?

Yes! But how would you know why they voted for them? They also had no prior knowledge about how they would vote on this particular issue regarding FOCA

Such dissent from Catholicism involves two groups of people. The first are called cafeteria Catholics. This group picks Catholic beliefs and practices to accept and to reject. They go to church and carry out some other Catholic practices. Supporting abortion politicians, or voting for it if they are in power, is no problem for them. This group in fact includes Nancy Pelosi, for example. For whatever reason the “Catholic” politicians, or the ones whose life I am aware of, who support abortion etc seem to practice their faith but only the parts they choose. The second group consider themselves Catholic and say that that is their religion if asked but haven’t been in a Church for many years and God, Christ and faith are something that very rarely enter their mind. These two groups are the ones that heavily vote for and who praise such “Catholic” politicians.

The original post is: don’t understand why these “Catholic” Senators call themselves Catholic. They have no interest in following the Church’s teachings or living a Catholic lifestyle, so what is the point?

**Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike700
If the church is going to deny communion to politicians who vote against church teachings, shouldn’t communion be denied to people who knowingly voted for those politicians?

Yes! But how would you know why they voted for them? They also had no prior knowledge about how they would vote on this particular issue regarding FOCA **

The last statement is only true if the voters in question were/are
complete ignoramuses. These “Catholic” politicians’ positions militantly in FAVOR
of all things abortion, have been public knowledge for a very, very long time.
To me, and to reality really, to knowingly vote for a proactive, proAbortion “Catholic” is no morally different than knowingly voting to elect Adolf Hitler AFTER Mr. Hitler has made known that he plans to murder Jews and Gypsies and Catholic Priests. Or do those who vote for proAbortion politicians rationalize (FALSELY) that voting for someone who favors and will promote Abortion, is somehow less serious an offense than voting for someone who favors killing Jews, Gyspies and Catholic Priests?
There is no excuse whatsoever for Catholics voting for militant, blatant proAbortion Catholics whether the proAbort be a Republican or a Democrat.

+JMJ+

All votes that come to the floor of the U.S. House and U.S. Senate are on record. Here is a link thomas.loc.gov/ There is links that go to the U.S. Senate and U.S. House. You can do a search by their names or Bill info.

Certainly a mortal sin. I think excommunications ought to come down as well.

Since this has already been passed does this mean that the conscience objection clause is no longer an issue in FOCA? I am writing a letter to my congressmen and senators and want to have the correct information. What are the most important issues in FOCA? I’m sorry if this is offtopic.

The only surprise here is Casey. And that is a surprise.

According to my pro-life Senator, FOCA was a bill that came up for a vote several years ago and was voted down by pro-life Senators. He said that if pieces of the original FOCA act were mixed in with other legislation, he would vote against it. Parts of FOCA ideology has been pushed through by Executive Order. The Senators never had a chance to vote on it. They could rescind the Executive Orders, but their aren’t enough pro-life Senators to do that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.