What about the Church and mental illness?

Hi I was wondering what is the churches stance on Mental Illnesses. I myself have several mental illnesses. I am Schizoaffective which is a form of Schizophrenia, Bipolar, Manic Depressive and I also have Dissociative Identity Disorder formerly termed Multiple Personalities. I have been on medicine for 10 years and have been stable 7 years. I take my medicines religiously.

If I was to go into a Manic Phase and commit a Sin but was not aware of it what would I do? I believe Jesus will save me in my heart but I don’t want my Mental Illnesses to be an Issue with the Church. Can you Please Help?

Thank You So Much! :slight_smile:

Dear friend,

The Church looks on mental illness is as the illness that it is. If anyone, with or without, mental illness commits an act that is objectively sinful, but is not aware the he or she has committed it, or does not know of its sinful nature, he or she is not morally responsible for the act.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.