What about the flu, and receiving from the cup?

Is there anything parishes can do to help prevent the possible spread of colds, and the swine flu, particularly when drinking from the cup? I have stopped drinking from the chalice, but it seemed wrong, when I suggested that my elderly parents pass by the cup when recieving the host. Am I wrong to try and protect their health?

I was taught that the host itself is “both body and blood”, and the graces received are unchanged if we take “one species or two”. Is that true?

Do parishes have any obligation to protect parishoneers? What if a person who is obviously sniffling, or coughing, approaches? Should the extraordinary minister deny them? Do they have that authority? In light of potential outbreaks, have any new guidelines been created?

This link should answer your question about viruses being spread via a shared chalice. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]Can drinking the blood of Christ make you sick?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.