What about the "influences" of Euripides in Acts

Hello,

Like some others said Mark was an echo to the Odissey, there is this article here

christianorigins.com/euripidesluke.html

which shows interesting similarities between the two texts. What are you thoughts about it? Thank you :slight_smile:

Dionysius in the Bacchae is quite cruel (mind you, Pentheus isn’t terribly sympathetic, to say the least); not much parallel in my opinion, since the similarities are merely “plot points.”

If Luke were making up incidents in Acts (which I do not believe), it’s hard for me to imagine him trying to draw a parallel between Peter and Dionysius, who deliberately causes the death of Pentheus in a very cruel manner.

Here is the example I have, always from Robert Price.

1. Pentecost (2:1-4ff)

The whole scene comes, obviously, from the descent of the Mosaic spirit upon the seventy elders in Numbers 11:16-17, 24-25, with an assist from Euripides’ The Bacchae, where we read “Flames flickered in their curls and did not burn them” (757-758), just as tongues of fire blazed harmlessly above the heads of the apostles (Acts 2:3). Ecstatic speech caused some bystanders to question the sobriety of the disciples, but Peter defends them (“These are not drunk as you suppose” Acts 2:15a), as does Pentheus’ messenger: “Not, as you think, drunk with wine” (686-687).

robertmprice.mindvendor.com/art_midrash1.htm

Or here

In Euripides’ Bacchae, line 447, we read the following ‘Of their own accord (autamato), the chains were loosed from their feet and keys opened the doors (thura) without human hand.’ In Acts 10:12, we read how doors opened for Peter of their own accord (automatos) and in Acts 16:26, we read how an earthquake loosed the chains from everybody and all the doors opened by themselves.

bowness.demon.co.uk/gosp2.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.