What am I considered

What am I considered, if I believe in what the Catholic church has to teach I adopt their system of beliefs. I have defend the church in several arguments and I am in the RCIA process. I don't consider myself protestant, what am I?

Also since I am baptized (not Catholic) am I allowed to cross myself with the fountain water and kneel before the King at Church? Basically am I allowed to do everything other than communion?

Thanks!

Welcome home!

If you're a validly baptized Protestant Christian currently going through RCIA to join the Catholic Church, you are a "Candidate." You can certainly call yourself Catholic, though; it's just that right now you're a candidate rather than a member.

And yes, you can freely avail yourself of Catholic prayers, practices (like genuflecting, which you mentioned), and sacramentals like holy water.

At some point *before *your full reception into the Catholic Church - determined, of course, by your pastor and RCIA people - you'll even go to confession to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation. That will prepare you to receive Confirmation and the Holy Eucharist when you're fully received into the Church. :)

[quote="jayhawks, post:1, topic:300601"]
What am I considered, if I believe in what the Catholic church has to teach I adopt their system of beliefs. I have defend the church in several arguments and I am in the RCIA process. I don't consider myself protestant, what am I?

You are a catholic by heart and desire....a Catholic nonetheless.

Also since I am baptized (not Catholic) am I allowed to cross myself with the fountain water and kneel before the King at Church? Basically am I allowed to do everything other than communion?

Thanks!

Yes, you can also go to adoration..which I suggest, if you have not...you can basically participate and join in the liturgies, except communion.

[/quote]

I don't have to repeat what everyone else is saying, but I will. YES! You can do everything outside of receiving reconciliation and receiving communion. Those will come very soon for you, though. ;)

Welcome home!!! :extrahappy:

I'm in CCD to come in full.communion with the Church, when people ask my.religion I say Catholic, to be more specific I call myself Roman Catholic since I belong to the Roman Sui Juris Church of the west. Whenever I talk to a priest, deacon etc I tell them I'm Catholic being initiated into the Church fully. Welcome home and God Bless you!

[/quote]

You are Catholic! On medical form, you can put "Catholic" so that priest can be contacted in an emergency. On this site, you could put "Catholic (RCIA)" so people better understand where you are coming from.

Thanks!

Even a non-baptized person could use the Holy Water as a symbol of his or her emerging belief in Christ. It is intended to remind people of, or draw them toward baptism. Non-Catholics are also encouraged to kneel or genuflect before the Tabernacle, but only if they believe in the sacrament contained there in. For them, it is not required, especially if they erroneously feel they'd be participating in idolatry by bowing to the host.

A non-Catholic is of course asked to refrain from communion, but depending on your stage in RCIA, you might also be asked to refrain from confession at least until you are properly trained and believe in it.

[quote="runningdude, post:6, topic:300601"]
You are Catholic! On medical form, you can put "Catholic" so that priest can be contacted in an emergency. On this site, you could put "Catholic (RCIA)" so people better understand where you are coming from.

Even a non-baptized person could use the Holy Water as a symbol of his or her emerging belief in Christ. It is intended to remind people of, or draw them toward baptism. Non-Catholics are also encouraged to kneel or genuflect before the Tabernacle, but only if they believe in the sacrament contained there in. For them, it is not required, especially if they erroneously feel they'd be participating in idolatry by bowing to the host.

A non-Catholic is of course asked to refrain from communion, but depending on your stage in RCIA, you might also be asked to refrain from confession at least until you are properly trained and believe in it.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Welcome home Jayhawk. Yes, you can participate fully except for Communion. I fully support another poster who suggested spending time in Adoration. At that point (or any other really) you could ask Jesus for a Spiritual Communion, asking Him to enter your spirit or heart.

Thanks!

[/quote]

Pre-catechumen Christian. I pray that everything goes well for you. :cool:

I'll leave the technicalities to those more knowledgeable than myself. But based on what you're written, I will offer my answer to your question.

You are Christian.
You are Catholic.
You are forgiven.
You are saved.
You are blessed.
You are loved.

Welcome home.

Don't forget to start a few habits:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NB2lAI4RIvw/Sl8qAQ3fkvI/AAAAAAAAAkI/_42qjXXKXjc/s320/OurLadyofMercy.jpg

:)

[quote="campeador, post:11, topic:300601"]
Don't forget to start a few habits:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NB2lAI4RIvw/Sl8qAQ3fkvI/AAAAAAAAAkI/_42qjXXKXjc/s320/OurLadyofMercy.jpg

:)

[/quote]

:amen: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Welcome. Im in the same boat as you are. Im currently in RCIA myself. I now identify myself as a Catholic. Exciting isnt it. You can pretty much do everything but Communion at this point. Cant wait for Easter to roll so i can join my church. Good luck on your journey. Ill second the going to and Adoration to. I also would recommend you pick up a rosary as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.