What answer do I give?

What is the answer to a person who receives Holy Communion in a church other than R.C & believes absolutely this is the best way of being in communion with God, because she is divorced & cannot receive Holy Communion in a Catholic church. Thank you in advance.:slight_smile:


First of all, Catholics MAY receive Holy Communion if they are divorced. But the may NOT if they have attempted marriage outside of the Catholic Church. To deliberately attempt marriage in this way is a mortal sin. Further; such a person commits a mortal sin every time he or she has sexual relations.

Protestant churches, for the most part do not have validly ordained clergy and therefore do not have a valid Eucharist. The Orthodox churches do, however.

But if she is in the state of mortal sin, to receive a valid Eucharist is the mortal sin of sacrilege. Nothing is worth committing a mortal sin!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.