What anti-Catholicism?

[quote=Montie Claunch]Why is anti-Catholicism big in the south? Why not somewhere else and leave us poor Catholic Southerners saying with as much of an old south acsent as possable alone? Seriously. What is it about the south which I thought to be the “Bible Belt”.
[/quote]

I don’t know how much this accounts for the current state of affairs in the South, but the Ku Klux Klan were anti-Catholic.

People who live in the Bible belt have been brought up with anti-Catholic half-truths, and biases. They hear it from their parents, and from their pulpits.

I lived for 50 years up north, and then moved to the south, and have been here for 19 years. I was quite surprised to occasionally find Jack Chick tracts left on store shelves, and around my parish parking lot. More than once some “bible Christians” from the area decided to come to a Catholic Mass on Christmas or Easter, go up to receive the Host, and then desecrate it by leaving it in a missal, in the pew, or elsewhere. Finally, a parishioner spotted this, license plate was recorded, and the police was called. We have not been bothered
that way since.

Just today, I read in my Catholic paper that a Catholic Church just about two hours from me was vandalized. Thirty windows were smashed, furniture overturned, and the stand on which the tabernacle rests was broken. Fortunately, the Blessed Sacrament was not disturbed. The vandals also spray painted satanic symbols and phrases and anti-Catholic slurs on the outside of the church. This church had been dedicated on Christmas Eve, 2000.

The good that came out of this is that pastors of other denominations called up the pastor of this Catholic Church and offered support and help. One Protestant church offered their sanctuary so that Mass can be celebrated on Sunday. Parishioners came in and cleaned up the church, and boarded up windows.

These are isolated incidents, and I myself have not experienced anti-Catholic remarks all these years. I treat my neighbors with respect and they do the same.

However, in all of this we need to feel blessed, because the Lord is with us, and no one has experienced the depth of pain and rejection He felt. Remember that it is Satan that incites others against the Catholic Church, because she contains the fullness of truth.

Peace,

Dorothy

That is absolutly disgusting, desecrating the Host like that and vandalising the House of God. I would never, ever dream of disrespecting someones house of worship no matter how much I disagreed with them or their religion, whether it be Scientologists, Satanists or people who worship the great hotdog god. That makes me sick. I’d give anything to have 10 minutes in a room with people who perpetrate those crimes. But, instead of inflicting bodily harm on them, I’ll just pray for them.

[quote=Dorothy]**Just today, I read in my Catholic paper that a Catholic Church just about two hours from me was vandalized. Thirty windows were smashed, furniture overturned, and the stand on which the tabernacle rests was broken. Fortunately, the Blessed Sacrament was not disturbed. The vandals also spray painted satanic symbols and phrases and anti-Catholic slurs on the outside of the church. This church had been dedicated on Christmas Eve, 2000.

The good that came out of this is that pastors of other denominations called up the pastor of this Catholic Church and offered support and help. One Protestant church offered their sanctuary so that Mass can be celebrated on Sunday. Parishioners came in and cleaned up the church, and boarded up windows.**
[/quote]

Peace,

DorothyDorothy can you give me a link to where I can read about that incident. I heard a rumor, but have not seen it.

I can’t find it in the Florida Catholic online.
Thanks!

That’s why I love being Catholic, it actually requires some intellect and thought, which leads to acceptance and the understanding of others. You actually NEED to be able to think for yourself to understand your faith.

It seems too many people rely on blind ignorance and misinformation. I thought tolerance was a big part of Christianity, I guess that’s not taught in other religions, i.e. some protestant denominations…

Phillymatt,

<<. I’d give anything to have 10 minutes in a room with people who perpetrate those crimes. But, instead of inflicting bodily harm on them, I’ll just pray for them.>>

Yes, that is what Jesus would have us do. How sad that they have been so deceived by Satan, but God can do all things.

Phillymatt,

<<It seems too many people rely on blind ignorance and misinformation. I thought tolerance was a big part of Christianity, I guess that’s not taught in other religions, i.e. some protestant denominations…>>

While it is true that some Protestant denominations have a very biased view of Catholicism, I think that this act goes even beyond that. It just seems so diabolical!

Church Militant,

<<Dorothy can you give me a link to where I can read about that incident. I heard a rumor, but have not seen it.

I can’t find it in the Florida Catholic online.
Thanks!>>

I just spent five minutes trying to locate it with no luck, here is more information maybe you can find it.

The Church is St. Rita in Santa Rosa Beach, South Walton County. The Florida Catholic paper I have is the Pensacola-Tallahasee Diocese one. It happened in the early morning hours of October 27th, and the story appeared in the November 11th edition of the paper.

Peace,

Dorothy

Anti-Catholicism is not about disagreeing with the Church’s dogmas and doctrines, it is all out hatred of the Catholic Church. The vandalism reported in this post is Anti-Catholicism. Just a month ago down South a group of young adults went into a Catholic Church while communion was taking place, went into the sanctuary yelling out everyone there were idolaters and then flipped over the altar. At my 2 year college that was out in the sticks, one day someone shot a bullet through one of the Catholic Church’s windows.

It’s so nice to see these vandals demonstrating “Christian” charity. At my last job we had a group of Anti-Catholics come in to eat ever Saturday night. One night they were talking about the Eucharist, I looked over towards them, because it drew my attention; that’s a subject you don’t hear most people talk about in a public restaurant. One man saw me, and raised his hands in mockery of the raising of the host with a sarcastic look of awe on his face. Then he smiled at me, so I put in my 2 week’s notice after that. I don’t feel remorseful about leaving now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.