What are a few of your favorite prayers?

What are a few of your favorite prayers?

The Rosary. I also like the Stabat Mater.

The Memorare and the St. Michael Prayer

The Divine Office and the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary is something I want to pray, but I want to learn how to do mental prayer first.

At this time the Hail Joseph:
‘Hail Joseph, Son of David, the just and the chaste, wisdom is with you; Blessed are you among all men and blessed is Jesus, the fruit of Mary, your faithful spouse. Holy Joseph, worthy foster-father and guardian of Jesus Christ and of the holy Church pray for us sinners and obtain divine Wisdom for us from God, now and at the hour of our death. Amen’

I want to learn that too!

Prayer of Abandonment
All prayers in the Rosary
Act of Contrition
" My Lord and My God Please have mercy on me a sinner"

The Memorare, the St. Michael Praye and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.

The rosary. St Michael. Divine mercy. Anima Christi. Spiritual communion. Shoulder wound of Christ.

Sitting in silence.

“God, give me patience, but hurry”

How about the one that is unique and sincere from the one doing the praying. If you repeat someone else’s prayer it is no longer a prayer its a contemplative meditation.

That’s a nice one. I didn’t know there was a “Hail Joseph” so a couple years ago I wrote my own short Joseph prayer because I wanted something quick to say along with the Hail Mary.

Our Father
The Jesus Prayer
Lord have mercy!
Prayer to St. Michael

I like many prayers. Recently I started doing the “Adoro te devote” by St. Thomas Aquinas at Adoration because the Manual of Indulgences recommended it. There is a LOT in that prayer to think about. I like to use the Wiki page and say it in both Latin and English if I have time, or sometimes I’ll say two lines in Latin and then read two lines in English and think about it.

I personally love the prayers of Saint Francis. Over the last twenty years as I have borne the cross of being denied confession dozens of times and being shunned, this has kept me going. This has let me see light at the end of the tunnel

I barely remember it now. Something about being peace,
where there is hatred sewing love
Injury pardon.
I cant finish it…

I want to finish ti, but II cant.

Rosary
Prayer of the Angel at Fatima (“My God I believe, I adore, I hope, and I love you…”)
Peace Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi (“Lord, make me an instrument of your peace:…”)
Prayer of St. Francis Xavier (“Eternal God, Creator of all things…”)

There’s another one I can’t remember the name of, but I’ve heard it attributed to St. Francis Xavier as well (words as I tend to say them):

Well, Jesus gave us the Our Father, and early Church writings indicate that they took it as a literal prayer that they should pray, not just a template. The Didache encourages praying it three times daily.

In general, though, recited prayers do put into words things that are on our hearts, often in a way that better reflects what we want to say than we can think. We have more than 2000 years’ worth of prayers to pick from if you go back to those of the Old Testament, like in the Psalms. There’s no shame in admitting, “These prayers are better at saying what I want to say than I am.”

This site gives the full text. It’s also a favorite of mine.

I like the prayer of Self-Dedication

Lord Jesus Christ, take all my freedom, my memory, my understanding, and my will. All that I have and cherish you have given me. I surrender it all to be guided by your will. Your grace and your love are wealth enough for me. Give me these, Lord Jesus, and I ask for nothing more.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace:
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy.

O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.