What are good ways to pray for someone's salvation?

It is conceivable that my grandfather won’t live for long anymore. Both his mind and body are deteriorating rapidly. I have to worry for the souls of each of my family members but I think my grandfather’s, from what I am able to judge, is in the most critical state. Sadly, my own conversion wasn’t long ago and so I have not been able to pray for him that much yet. Ever since my mother told me today how critical things are and warned me before seeing him, I resolved to focus my prayers on him.

So now I want to seek your advice. What are good ways to pray for a person’s salvation who has no regard for God?

My idea is to offer up my Holy Communion, to pray the Rosary, and to pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet for him.

Do you know of any novenas that would serve this purpose? Which saints could I ask for their intercession?

Thank you for your help. I would also appreciate any little prayer you could send his way.

Pray for the intercession of St. Monica.

Novena to St. Monica

Pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet.

ewtn.com/devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm

I will join you in praying for your grandfather.

:gopray:

Xandria,
I would recommend the following:

1. Find a copy of THE PIETA PRAYER BOOK and within that prayer book is a prayer entitled THREE VERY BEAUTIFUL PRAYERSwhich were written for a Pope who was dying, and by his own accord “with many sins”. As the story goes he asked many Cardinals and priest to pray for his soul and these three prayers were written and prayed over the dying Pope as well as for several hours after his death. The story continues that the Pope returned from death to relay that these prayers saved him from damnation. Today the prayers are recommeded for dying persons.

2. THE CHAPLET OF DIVINE MERCYIt was relayed to St. Faustina that this prayer could save the most blackend soul. Say if often for your Grandfather, especially at the 3pm hour, which is the hour that CHRIST died, and within the hour after your Grandfathers has passed.

3. THE GREGORIAN MASS When your grandfather passes, have a Gregorian Mass said for his soul. It is 30 Masses said consecutively by one priest, and the promise is that if your Grandfathers soul has been placed in Purgatory, it will be released on the first Saturday following the completion of the last Mass.

I will begin to place our Grandfather within my prayers.

I just googled “The Three Very Beautiful Prayers”. iipg.org/pieta.htm Thank you so much for posting this! So many lovely prayers. :slight_smile:

I’ve heard of the Gregorian Mass before but am not too famialair with it. Guess I better google that too! :smiley:

Thank you all for your help and prayers!

I printed the Three Very Beautiful Prayers and am praying them for my grandfather. I so hope they will help them, along with the other prayers. The pope in the story believed in God and wanted to be saved. I can only call down God’s mercy on my grandfather and obtain graces for him but I can’t make him accept them.

The Gregorian Mass is a wonderful idea. My grandfather isn’t Catholic, but that shouldn’t be a problem when ordering these masses, right?

Xandria, I don’t want to upset you but there’s something fishy about the pieta prayer book and a lot of the promises of the prayers in it may not be approved by the church.

I think it’s a beautiful thing you are doing and I hope and pray for conversion for your grandfather.

There is one other Pius practice I can think of. The green scapular. olrl.org/pray/gscapular.shtml

All it needs is to be blessed by a priest, put in his room and for you to pray the prayer daily with confidence.

yes be very wary of the pieta book read the linktosee why
servantsofstmichael.org/index.php?view=article&catid=41%3Aarticles-by-fr-peter-joseph-pp-st-dominics-syd&id=57%3Awhats-wrong-with-the-pieta-prayerbook&option=com_content&Itemid=65
attend mass, fast, give him a green scapular and say the prayer with confidence.

I just purchased the Pieta book yesterday because of this thread…then I came back and saw that there are some who are leary of it? :frowning:

From what I understand, (and correct me if I am wrong), the prayers are perfectly fine to say. Its just the promises that are to be disregarded? I did a search here on CAF and found an old thread that stated that it wasn’t disapproved, just not * approved*. And that a particular group of Monks from EWTN (or were they priest?) used the Pieta book often…which, of course, made me feel more comfortable with it.

The only think I would add to some of the excellent advice you have gotten on here is to have masses said for him before he passes away. This is our Church’s highest form of prayer, and is very effective for the salvation of souls.

I will join you in prayer for your grandfather’s salvation.

God Bless,
Mary

yes the prayers sre fine to say as long as you put no faith in the promises. why does the pieta book keep publishing the promises it knows to have been condemed?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Thanks for warning me about the promises in the Pieta book. It’s weird, the content gave the impression that it carried the support of even popes.

I hope it’s not discouraging. Pray with faith.

“All that you ask of the Father in My Name, He will grant you”

[BIBLEDRB]Matthew 7:7[/BIBLEDRB]

Quite a number of years ago a friend told me about the Green Scapular.
She used it to convert a friend, and was successful.
(I should acquire one myself as I, too, am concerned about a family member – she has turned her back on the Church and (almost?) on God.)

Look here for more information on the Green Scapular.

Whenever there is someone in the family or a friend who is far away from the faith and you want to do something about it, our Blessed Mother gave us one means of converting them when she appeared to Sister Justine Bisqueyburu in 1840 carrying " the cloth of conversion—the Green Scapular".

For your father …
We pray Lord that Xandria’s father will embrace you at the hour of death.
Hail Mary
Full of Grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou amongst women
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, JESUS +
Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now, and at the hour of our death
Amen.

In the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Ghost
Amen.

I like to pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet. I also like to offer up any suffering that I have for the salvation of souls. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.