What are great things to say to prove that Catholicism is good?

I thought about saying things like:

1. That the RCC leadership came from the succession of church leaders starting from Jesus. Not self-appointed leaders like some non-Catholic Christians.

2. The RCC compiled and decided what books are to be included and considered real in the Bible very early on, I thought it’s about the 4th century. I’m not sure about this.

That’s all I can think of for now.

Some bad things to say though:

The Inquisition, the Crusades and bad Popes.

Pope Francis drew a crowd of 6 million people in Manila over the weekend. How’s that for good!

The thousands of miracles done through the intercession of her (The church) Saints.

Read “How The Catholic Church Built Western Civilization” by Thomas E. Woods and you’ll have plenty of ammunition. How’s this for starters: The Church invented the calendar that the whole world uses today, the Gregorian Calendar, named after Pope Gregory XIII.

Hey boomerang, that was what I was going to say! You beat me to it! :slight_smile: :smiley:

Also he has a DVD out by the same name as the book. I’m not sure if it covers all that is in the book.

Hospitals, schools, art, music, science, literature, serving the poor, feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, proclaiming human dignity.

The Church, since it teaches and brings Christ, to us reveals our need for God and cures our fallen human condition. That’s all the “proof” took for me to become Catholic. :slight_smile:

Catholic Charities…

Catholic Charities is a network of charities with headquarters in Alexandria, Virginia. It is one of the largest charities in the United States.[5]

Founded in 1910 as the National Conference of Catholic Charities, the organization changed its name in 1986 to Catholic Charities USA (CCUSA).[6] Catholic Charities USA is the national office of more than 160 local Catholic Charities agencies nationwide that serve millions of people a year, regardless of their religious, social, or economic backgrounds

Wiki

Where’s the DVD? I Googled it and looked on Amazon…can’t find it. Do you have a link?

Never mind.,…I found it. It goes by a different name:
ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/THE+CATHOLIC+CHURCH+BUILDER+OF+CIVILIZATION+DVD/cid=264/page_no=1/edp_no=17829/shop.axd/ProductDetails

I’ll order it for our Youth Group. thanks!

To me it goes well beyond words and can be proven by our actions in our day to day living. When we show the peace and happiness that our faith brings to our lives we are showing others how good being a Catholic can be. When we handle everything that comes our way with strength, and courage we prove over and over again how good our faith really is.

I like this answer. Some people have a gift for speaking and some of us don’t. But all of us can try our best to live our faith. Years ago when my teenage children were still at home, and Catholic education at the parish was not the best at that time , I came across some (VHS) videos that were very inspirational to me in helping me better understand what the church teaches. I mean, I don’t recall ever having struggled with my belief like many people have. But trying to convey that to others, even to my own children was at times difficult. So when I read some books or watched the “new” VHS videos that just explained things so well, I thought “If they only read this book or watched this video, they would understand”. But it didn’t work that way. People have to be open or receptive to learning the truth. If their minds are closed, not even the best explanations or words will do. But out of love for our children, our family and others, we shouldn’t give up either. When we want to convince others, living our faith and praying for conversions is a good place to start. And when we do have the opportunity to study or share our knowledge, we should always invoke the Holy Spirit to guide us in truth and to help us to understand and to help us to express that knowledge to others.

Yep, that’s it. I do think Dr. Woods doesn’t go into topics too far due to time constraints but its is a fascinating video. 4 disc- 2 hrs.

Universities.

This one pretty smashes the ego of those who like to talk down about the Catholic Church and religion in general.

Why?

Because when belief in God is absent, people most likely become idolaters (broad definition of idolater: the person whose no1 priority in life is anything, except God) and one of the most common forms of idolatry today is the idolatry of science and knowledge.

When you show them that the object of their idolatry is directly connected to the history of the Catholic Church in a good way, they pretty much freak out.

School people about the origin of the universities (Paris, Oxford, Cambridge, Salamanca, Coimbra, etc, started as monastic schools around 800 years ago, in Europe, under the authority of the Church and nowhere else in the world).

Then you can go on to demonstrate that all the biggest breakthroughs in modern science (including the theory of Big Bang) were made by priests or people working for the Church. Ex: Georges Lamaitre, priest, father of the Big Bang. Copernicus, priest, father of heliocentric theory. Gregor Mendel, priest, father of genetics, and so on.

And then point them to the Vatican academy of sciences, whose members won more than 40 Nobel Prizes together, and you pretty much have one of the most solid arguments to prove that no other institution in the world has contributed more to the development of the western civilization than the Catholic Church.

I’d like to expand on the question. Most of the answers - all wonderful - talk about what the Catholic Church has DONE. But what about what the Catholic Church BELIEVES?

I have some answers, starting with the fact that the Catholic Church is the only church that can trace its beliefs back to Christ’s institution of the Church on Earth. For me, a lawyer, that is the ultimate authority. However I’d like more ammunition when talking with those considering the Catholic Church. For instance I am currently having some conversations with a dear friend who is Episcopalian (as I was formerly). Thanks in advance for the help! :thankyou:

In that sense, I think you nailed the most important point of all, which is the authenticity of the catholic doctrine.

I was telling my wife this morning how I quickly realized, when I was a discerning Christian, that there were only so many churches in the world which could actually make a convincing case about being the one true apostolic Church. It is not hard to become a catholic once you realize that.

There are only a few churches that would resist to the test “if you are the one true apostolic church, then where were you between the year 1 and 1500, and under what name were you known by then?”

Historical data backs up the catholic church, completely. That’s unquestionable.

This video has some good reasons.

youtube.com/watch?v=1QYeST_9FUg

Am I not so sure about the Crusades any more.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.