What are my obligations as a godmother?

I am godmother to my nephew and my brother is a lapsed Catholic. Not only does the 13 year old not go to church like his father, but he really knows nothing of the Catholic faith. I don’t know how to approach it. I know that the title of godparent isn’t exactly a wall ornament so I feel compelled to ask what my obligations are.

Give me the barebones words from the Church doctrines/laws, then put your interpretation on it, but if someone can at least let me read what the church says my obligations are, I’d appreciate it.

For now, I’ve told both my niece and nephew, that I’m going to start taking them out to dinner once a month - each one, independently. This means every two weeks, I’ll get to spend quality time with each to listen to them, and then to start planting the seeds of our faith.

I don’t know if this will help but Canon 774, section 2, of the Code of Canon Law says:Before all others, parents are bound to form their children, by word and example, in faith and in christian living. The same obligation binds godparents and those who take the place of parents.

Canon 872 says,
In so far as possible, a person being baptised is to be assigned a sponsor. In the case of an adult baptism, the sponsor’s role is to assist the person in christian initiation. In the case of an infant baptism, the role is together with the parents to present the child for baptism, and to help it to live a christian life befitting the baptised and faithfully to fulfil the duties inherent in baptism.

That sounds like me and my brother need to go out for coffee.

I’m not sure how to approach it yet so I’ll continue to pray.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.