What are my spiritual gifts?

The other night I was watching a program on EWTN dealing with spiritual formation. A priest was discussing the beatitudes, and while he was discussing the first beatitude (“Blessed are the poor in spirit…”) he struck upon how we ought not to dwell upon our comparative value, where we compare ourselves to one another, often finding fault with ourselves, but rather we ought to act completely upon our contributory value, where we use the gifts we’ve been given.

What if you don’t know what your gifts are, though?

While I’m quite positive that I have gifts to offer which are completely evident in my day to day life, I have no idea what those are – and well, it’s a little discouraging even without comparison. When I do compare myself, which somehow seems inevitable, I feel like a lump on a log!

Don’t fret - you have spiritual gifts and the Lord will bring them to the fore when He needs them. You are probably already using them and don’t even realize it. You may be very patient, or kind, or understanding - a good listener. Some of those things aren’t as exotic as miraculous healings, but they are also spiritual gifts. Since you are seeking the Lord, you have received gifts and will be able to use them. Don’t feel like a lump - the Lord will use you as He wants.

your primary gifts are those received at Baptism and strengthened and put to work in Confirmation, the gifts of the Holy Spirit, wisdom, understanding, knowledge, counsel, fortitude, piety, and fear of the Lord, which have been given to you not only for your personal growth but specifically to build up the Church. We all have them so we don’t need a personality test to discover them, we simply need to ask the Holy Spirit to put us to work, and show us how, where, and when. There is no such thing as “I have no gifts and I am not prepared” for the baptized, to say that denies the reality of the sacraments. If you are not prepared get confirmed. If you are confirmed, get to work. Simply say “yes” the next time you are asked. Stop making excuses, stop waiting for something to happen to start your life as a Christian. Just do it.

feel you need more preparation and direction? read the lives of the saints, meditate before the Blessed Sacrament or the Crucifix, or with the rosary, on the life of Christ. That’ll do it. Make sure you have your daily prayer life and scripture reading, and fidelity to Mass and the sacraments up to speed. Need more practice? Practice humility and obedience in every sphere of your life. At work prompt uncomplaining obedience to all reasonable requests by your superiors and honest day’s work. In the family, cheerful attention and response to the needs of others in the family, doing small things for love, without expecting recognition or thanks.

Practice humility–true self knowledge in your relationship with God. The gift you need in every circumstance will be at hand, the same way the trained OR nurse puts the proper instrument in the surgeon’s hand when he holds it out, if you have the habit of asking the Holy Spirit to guide you.

Epistemes,
you are God’s gift. What you do with this gift, is your gift back to God.

God did not create you to be anything other than yourself. Becoming the person God had in mind, when he created you, is all that you need to be.

Don’t worry about what gifts you have or don’t have. You’ll never figure it out anyway.

Just be you, this is your gift.

God Bless.
Jim

Possibly a questioning mind and depth. We must pray to persist in Christ with wisdom, remembering the rise/fall of Solomon quoted by St. Louis Marie Grignon de Montfort in The Love of Eternal Wisdom ewtn.com/library/Montfort/lew.htm

A stats professor universally acclaimed as one of the world’s most distinguished scholars in statistics/probability does stats from about 7am to 12 pm is a walking enyclopedia and advances knowledge deeply, :thumbsup: At 24, he was “nothing special.” So might you one day be a wonderful resource if you persist in studying every spiritual book, saint, devotion :thumbsup:

For happiness, you might study mysticism (contemplating the Mystery of Christ), particularly St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross (Mystic Doctor), and St. Therese of Liseux. Is mysticism what we do in Heaven?

St. Maria Faustina’s Diary: Divine Mercy in My Soul

1. November 27, [1936]. Today I was in heaven, in spirit, and I saw its inconceivable beauties and the happiness that awaits us after death. I saw how all creatures give ceaseless praise and glory to God. I saw how great is happiness in God, which spreads to all creatures, making them happy; and then all the glory and praise which springs from this happiness returns to its source; and they enter into the depths of God, contemplating the inner life of God, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, whom they will never comprehend or fathom.

This source of happiness is unchanging in its essence, but it is always new, gushing forth happiness for all creatures. Now I understand Saint Paul, who said, “Eye has not seen, nor has ear heard, nor has it entered into the heart of man what God has prepared for those who love Him.”

saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS16.shtml

St. Padre Pio
The more you are afflicted, the more you ought to rejoice, because in the fire of tribulation the soul will become pure gold, worthy to be placed and to shine in the heavenly place.

Do you know what religion is? It is a school in which every soul must be trained, smoothed and polished by the Holy Spirit, who acts as a physician to our souls until, well smoothed and polished, they can be united and joined to the will of God… Religion is an infirmary for the spiritually sick, who wish to be cured and must therefore undergo the pains of surgery.

My daughters, in Latin, abjection is called humility, and humility - abjection… Nevertheless there is some difference between the virtue of humility and that of abjection, because humility is the recognition of one’s own abjection. Now the highest degree of humility is not only to recognize one’s abjection, but to love it. This is what I have urged you to do.

My usual manner of praying is this: I no sooner begin to pray than my soul becomes enveloped in a peace and tranquility that words cannot describe. All I can say about this prayer is that my soul seems to be completely lost in God and that in those moments it gains more than it could in many years of intensive spiritual exercises.

Pray, pray to the Lord with me, because the whole world needs prayer. And every day, when your heart especially feels the loneliness of life, pray. Pray to the Lord because even God needs our prayers. The Lord is willing to do great things, but on the condition that we are truly humble.

Don’t lose heart if it is your lot to work a lot and gather little. If you considered what one soul alone costs Jesus, you would never complain.

Don’t allow any sadness to dewll in your soul, for sadness prevents the Holy Spirit from acting feely. Our Lord sends the crosses; we do not have to invent them.

We must rise up and value every instant of time that passes and is in our power. We must not waste a single moment. By divine grace we find ourselves at the beginning of a new year. This year, which only God knows if we shall see its end, must be used in reparation for the past and in preparation for the future.

padrepiodevotions.org/index.asp?pagename=wordsoffaith

unborn babies, St. Josephine Bakhita, St. Martin de Porres, Venerable Pierre Touissant, St. Edith Stein, Sr. Lucy of Fatima, St. Therese of Liesuex, St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, His Holiness Pope John Paul II, St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, St. Maria Faustina, St. Maximilian Maria, St. Louis Marie Grignon de Montfort, St. Alphonus Mary de Liguroi, St. Dominic, St. Vincent de Paul, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Dympha, Archangel Gabriel, Archangel Raphael, Archangel Michael, all the angels, saints, and Popes, may you pray to Mary!

May the Holy Spirit through the Mother of the Word grant us the graces that we need!! May the LOVE and MERCY of the Sacred Heart of Jesus overwhelm us!! May the WONDERS of Mary come to our aid!!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.