What are New Agers

I have heard of New agers and Modernist? What and who are they? Thanks and God Bless.

[quote=Montie Claunch]I have heard of New agers and Modernist? What and who are they? Thanks and God Bless.
[/quote]

I’m not really sure about the whole “modernist” thing. It seems to me like there is more than one definition floating around out there. Around here, I think people generally use it to describe those in favor of “modernizing” Catholicism by changing established Church teaching on women priests, homosexuality, contraception, miracles, salvation… (Of course, it’s easy to get labeled a “modernist” just because of a stance on a single issue.) In general, a modernist is someone who is unorthodox, but on the opposite end of the spectrum from the SSPX folks.

“New age” is also kind of a loosely defined term. It encompasses all kinds of neo-paganism, borrowing from Eastern religions, much of popular philosophy since the 1960’s, and more. It derives its name from the New Age movement of the 20th century. Here’s some info on that movement and its adherents:
religioustolerance.org/newage.htm
newageinfo.com/
I haven’t done much more than a cursory perusal of the above websites. From what I can tell, they seem to be either written by New Agers or by people sympathetic to the New Age movement.

I hope that was helpful, and if I was wrong anywhere, I’m quite open to correction.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.