What are some careers in charitable work?

I was wondering what the options are for charitable work ideally Catholic charitable work. I want to be payed rather than just be a volunteer. Money is not my primary concern but I need some in order to pay rent and for food. So please let me know what all of the options or for payed work having to do with charitable work.

So would a position that came with room & board, etc. be acceptable?

A position with a room and board might be OK. But I want it to be Catholic rather than salvation army which I believe is protestant.

Search Catholic Charities + employment. Do not limit yourself to your area.
If you open your search world wide you will notice what is consistently requested.
This will give you information on what is needed now and what the qualifications are required in order to fill the demand. Are you interested in employment in charitable work now?

Search Catholic Charities + employment. Do not limit yourself to your area.
If you open your search world wide you will notice what is consistently requested.
This will give you information on what is needed now and what the qualifications are required in order to fill the demand. Are you interested in employment in charitable work now?>>

No I’m not interested right now in working. I have my own situation to settle and take care of. I am considering doing some work of this sort in the future when I am ready. But thank you very much for this.

I would start by contacting the Catholic Charities office in your area/diocese. Even if they have no current openings, they would know the local landscape well enough to point you to some other places.

Of course, you can also look at CatholicJobs.com and CatholicSource.org. You might start by searching under the job type of “social work”. Some of the jobs might require specific degrees, but some might not.

Joe,
Well I'm not so sure Joe that I want to be a social worker. I was hoping there were charitable opportunities other than something requiring a masters or doctorate.

I would look into Director of Religious Education. I have experienced a series of awful and heretical DRE’s in the past two decades. If saving souls is the ultimate prize, this could be a real good position.

To be a DRE, check with the local bishops office. It may only require a one-year or two-year program. This is usually a paid position.

“Social Work” is just the general category. Not all the positions listed under that category are for a social worker positions per se. You’d just have to sift through the ones that require specific degrees that you don’t have. :o

Thanks guys. I appreciate all of the ideas and comments. I’m going to save all of this. Save this thread.

What about overseas positions? That's what I'm looking for. Anything for that with the Church, and that is paid?

B U M P I could really use an answer to this question.

I think you’d be more likely to get specific answers if you contacted your diocesan Catholic Charities office. Or you could even try the national Catholic Charities USA.

Thank you very much I checked the website, but they only give careers in the US, but I’m looking for paid catholic jobs outside the US. but thank you very much

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.