What are some great passages in the old testament for an exegesis paper?

If anyone has any good passages let me know.

Then God said, “Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.” 1 GEN 26

1 Like

The “golden calf” episode.

The seraph serpents in the desert.

The two times Moses ‘provided’ water for the people.

The Rape of Dinah.

The Babel narrative.

There’s lots out there!

1 Like

The Ten Commandments – Exodus 20 2-17

The book of Daniel is great for historical exegesis, just as long as you don’t go crazy and start buying the weird conspiracies about it, like uhh… Daniel prophesies Brexit or something absurd like that

pretty much everything from Genesis 1:1 on.

Almost anytihng from the Book of Widom, aka The Wisdom of Solomon.

EDIT: In particular, Chapter 2, verses 10-20. Written perhaps as few as 50 years before the Incarnation, it describes no one who I can think of except for our Savior.

Let us oppress the poor just man, and not spare the widow, nor honour the ancient grey hairs of the aged. But let our strength be the law of justice: for that which is feeble, is found to be nothing worth. Let us therefore lie in wait for the just, because he is not for our turn, and he is contrary to our doings, and upbraideth us with transgressions of the law, and divulgeth against us the sins of our way of life. He boasteth that he hath the knowledge of God, and calleth himself the son of God. He is become a censurer of our thoughts. He is grievous unto us, even to behold: for his life is not like other men’s, and his ways are very different. We are esteemed by him as triflers, and he abstaineth from our ways as from filthiness, and he preferreth the latter end of the just, and glorieth that he hath God for his father. Let us see then if his words be true, and let us prove what shall happen to him, and we shall know what his end shall be. For if he be the true son of God, he will defend him, and will deliver him from the hands of his enemies. Let us examine him by outrages and tortures, that we may know his meekness and try his patience. Let us condemn him to a most shameful death: for there shall be respect had unto him by his words.

Just my opinion, but the “widow” and “ancient grey hairs” are types of the Blessed Virgin and Saint Joseph. The rest, of course, applies to essentially a single person in human history. Compare what is said of him in Wisdom to the circumstances and accusations at the crucifixion:

1. “If He is the Son of God…” exactly what the devil said in the temptation, as well as the Jewish authorities at the cross.
  2. God will defend Him and deliver Him from the hands of His enemies - “Come down from the cross”.
  3. Testing by outrages and tortures to know His meekness.
  4. Condemn Him to a shameful death.

Just my 2¢

1 Like

You are a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek - psalm 110:4.

My first and favorite is Micah 6:1-8. It is a court room case with God as a judge and Israel on trial. It has who we are is more than what we sacrifice. This can be taken in may ways. The last part is remarkably similar to the theological virtues. It shows that what God has asked of Man has always been the same - love and mercy; faith and justice; humility and hope. That is, we love our neighbor as ourselves. We do unto others as they do to us. We always remember who we are and who God is.

I think Habakkuk 2:4 would be a good one as would Psalm 110 since these are two of the most quoted passages in the New Testament. Also, Genesis 15:6 would be a great study as well since Paul and James both make use of it. Exposition of Isaiah 52:13-53:12 is also a great passage if you have interest in engaging Jewish apologists.

A great one.
OP could search and explain why does God use an image of serpent, a symbol used to represent Satan, the great dragon, to save the people

Another,

2 Maccabees 12:39-46
“For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead. But if he was looking to the splendid reward that is laid up for those who fall asleep in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Therefore he made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin.”

http://www.usccb.org/bible/2mc/12:35#21012039

This would be best to use in a Protestant environment because you could show, without be contentious in your explanation how the New Testament supports this OT passage,
See
https://www.defendingthebride.com/sc/purgatory.html
John

Genesis 3:15 “And I will put enmity between thee and the woman.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.