What are some of the best books you've read?

For me:

The Bible

The Catechism

The Legacy of John Paul II (by Pope Benedict)

The Facts about Luther

(etc)

Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux!!!

Highly recommend it :yup:

for some reason never finished that one…

what did you like best about it? Did you read it recently?

lukewarmness the devil in disguise ~ francis fernandez carbajal
how to Love God and follow the commandments ~ charles joseph quadrupani
genuine friendship ~ philip d halfacre
*how to forgive when you don’t feel like it *~ june hunt
*covenanted happiness love and commitment in marriage *~ cormac burke

Preparation for Death by St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori
Purgatory by F.X. Schouppe
Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross
The Fifteen Prayers of St. Bridget

‘In order more clearly to see what indeed thou art, my Christian soul, St. John Chrysostom observes, “Go to a sepulchre, contemplate dust, ashes, worms, and sigh.” See how that corpse becomes at first yellow, and then black. Afterwards there is seen upon the body a white and unpleasant mould. Then there issues forth a foul and corrupt matter, which sinks into the ground. In that corruption many worms are generated, which feed upon the flesh. The rats then come to feast upon the body, some on the outside, others entering into the mouth and bowels. The cheeks, the lips, and the hair fall in pieces; the ribs are the first to become bare of flesh, then the arms and the legs. The worms after having consumed the flesh eat each other, and, in the end, nothing remains of that body but a fetid skeleton, which, in course of time, is divided, the bones being separated, and the head falling from the body they “become like the chaff of the summer threshing-floors, and the wind carried them away.” (Dan. ii. 35.) Behold, then, what man is a little dust upon a threshing-floor, which is carried away by the wind.’

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori, ‘Preparation for Death’

‘Into this dark night souls begin to enter when God draws them forth from the state of beginners—which is the state of those that meditate on the spiritual road—and begins to set them in the state of progressives—which is that of those who are already contemplatives—to the end that, after passing through it, they may arrive at the state of the perfect, which is that of the Divine union of the soul with God.’

St. John of the Cross, ‘Dark Night of the Soul’

:smiley:

i started to read Dark Night once… maybe i have attn deficit disorder because i couldn’t get into it… now i don’t have access to it… or would try again…

I’m wondering what’s the best thing about it?

thanks… I used to read mostly Catholic books…then got into history… Yikes!!
so depressing!! All that war … war and more war… :frowning:

i wasn’t depressed when i read Catholic theology books and lives of the saints. and history of the Church and things like that…

The Harry Potter series

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

That book almost cost me my faith, I hate it and almost everything to do with it.

Well, call me an ignorant silly ninny because I don’t count deep theological tomes among my favorite books, but one of the best books I’ve read in recent years was Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen. Both my daughters love it, too (23 and 26).

My top favorite books are:

the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Dracula, by Bram Stoker
Little Women, Little Men, and Jo’s Boys by Louisa May Alcott
Tom Sawyer, *Huckleberry Finn * (abbreviated names) by Mark Twain
any novel by Anne Rivers Siddons except Hill Towns
any novel by Victoria Holt

…and yes, I like my own novels! After all, my novels are the only novels about synchronized skating!

Well, it is the mystic and deep meanings that are given the various passages of St. John of the Cross’s poetry. You can find it for free online, and with a few prayers to start you off right, give it a second try.

For me, it is always one of the best works for expressing the depths of God’s love, and what we do to enter into it. It gives a great deal of material for meditation because deeper meanings within the language, and it is full of good instruction.

“On a dark night, Kindled in love with yearnings—oh, happy chance!—
I went forth without being observed, My house being now at rest.”

Here is one example: One’s house is one’s soul – At rest, and freed from attachments to sin, it can proceed to God. This sort of imagery is often used, and is very apt because we have to take care of our souls in ways similar to a house, to keep out the evils and welcome in the Lord. :slight_smile:

We should not hate what the saints have to say – but should strive to understand. Pain and such are our glory in the next life and in this, natural evils are not moral evils and often correctives. The work has always inspired me to work harder for God and pray for the holy souls, it was one of the first books of the Faith I read and I still come back to it today. :slight_smile:

I recommend **St. Anselm’s 'Why God Became Man (Cur Deus Homo)'s **exposition of God’s justice if that was the difficulty you had with the book. Another favorite of mine. :slight_smile:

‘Well and good if all things change, Lord God, provided we are rooted in You.’

‘To be taken with love for a soul, God does not look on its greatness, but the greatness of its humility.’

St. John of the Cross

Anselm… Injustice, therefore, if it is cancelled by compassion alone, is more free than justice, which seems very inconsistent. And to these is also added a further incongruity, viz., that it makes injustice like God. For as God is subject to no law, so neither is injustice.

Boso. I cannot withstand your reasoning. But when God commands us in every case to forgive those who trespass against us, it seems inconsistent to enjoin a thing upon us which it is not proper for him to do himself.

Anselm… There is no inconsistency in God’s commanding us not to take upon ourselves what belongs to Him alone. For to execute vengeance belongs to none but Him who is Lord of all; for when the powers of the world rightly accomplish this end, God himself does it who appointed them for the purpose.’

St. Anselm of Canterbury, ‘Cur Deus Homo’

Religious:

*Orthodoxy *by G.K. Chesterton

The Everlasting Man by G.K. Chesterton

Non-Religious:

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

The Time Machine H.G. Wells

God bless

Many books but Atlas Shrugged is right up there.

I read this when I took my kids on the Disney cruise. Needless to say it was not the right atmosphere.

I read this about 15 years ago and I’m afraid I missed much of the point. I read it as a story but apparently it has a lot to say about the individual and is an argument against collectivism. I still think it was a good book.

lol I’ll let you know that you’re not the only one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways…

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. <- That is one of the best books I’ve ever read (which is saying a lot on my part, because I read a lot of books). His other book, A Thousand Splendid Suns, is also very good.

I also tend to really enjoy any sort of Holocaust testimony. (Ok…maybe “enjoy” wasn’t the right word…) I’m very into Holocaust history, almost to the point that you could call me an amateur researcher. Not sure why I read so much about it…maybe because I don’t understand how that could happen and I try, even though I never will understand, or because I want to make sure that it’s remembered by someone…:shrug: I just do.

:slight_smile:

I cannot abide Rand’s Objectivism but I agree it has some things to say about collectivism and human nature.

The Three Muskateers was a great book.

I finished it last summer, but I always go back to my favorite parts. The reason I like it sooo much is because St. Therese lived a simple way of loving others. When we can look at her example and realize how easy it really is to love, it makes you want to make a difference in the world like her!!

God Bless!

The Mote in God’s Eye by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle
Ten Little Indians by Agatha Christie

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.