What are some of the best books you've read?

Oh! Oh! Me too! :bounce:

Read Hitler’s Willing Executioners, by Daniel Goldhagen. It’s awesome, although very upsetting and convicting.

Also The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom (with John and Elizabeth Sherrill)

And if you don’t mind children’s Holocaust literature:
The Devil’s Arithmetic, by Jane Yolen, and Number the Stars, by Lois Lowry.

Finally, please keep an eye on my website for my novel, The White Rose Affair. It’s my contribution to “Holocaust literature.” The story has been in my mind for years, and I adapted it to the ice skating rink. The editor tells me that it is my best novel yet. (You probably know what the White Rose was, but for all who don’t, Google it.)

I’ve looked at that one in the bookstores and been interested in it, but haven’t picked it up yet. It’s on my list, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have the other three books among my collection…all good stories. I also love Rena’s Promise: A Story of Sisters in Auschwitz by Rena Kornreich Gelissen w/Heather Dune Macadam…The Girl in the Red Coat by Roma Ligocka…and The Mascot: Unraveling the Mystery of My Jewish Father’s Nazi Boyhood by Mark Kurzem.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne is also a good book, told from a very different point of view.

Anyways, I will be sure to keep an eye out for your novel…sounds interesting. :smiley: The White Rose…yes, I’d be interested in that. :slight_smile:

My favorite book:

Richard Feynman - Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman!: Adventures of a Curious Character

Ooh, ooh! I forgot about Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. Now that’s one of my favorite books!

I have the sequel (or re-visit?), Farewell Summer on the shelf, and plan to read it this summer. My daughter says it’s great. Have you read it yet?

I don’t recommend books with sodomy rapes in them, which would be ‘The Kite Runner’.

Well I’m sorry. I put myself past that part of the book and looked at the relationships between the characters, and how they are so real. It’s the story of redemption that gets me; the personal conflicts that the main character undergoes throughout his life in his feelings of guilt and shame, and how he is able to overcome them and feel a sense of peace within himself. That fascinates me…human beings are so diverse and “multi-faceted”. God created us all so D.i.F.f.E.r.E.n.T!! :slight_smile:

There’s more to the substance of the book than just a “sodomy rape”.

Although I would only recommend it to someone with a high level of maturity.

But that’s just my humble opinion, obviously not yours, so whatever.

Another big time littlehouse book fan :thumbsup: (re-reading farmer boy now)

Other favorites-by favorites I go by books I have read 3 or more times:

The Good Earth
Atlas Shrugged
The Fountainhead
To Kill a Mockingbird
We have Always Lived in the Castle
Catcher in the Rye
One Hundred Years of Solitude

and more!

i’ve read one of those: Purgatory… pretty scary but not when you consider how holy God is…

why? you don’t believe that people suffer terribly in Purgatory?

i don’t have a hard time beliving this at all… I committed sins years ago i am still “paying for”… and probably will, some way or other till the day i die & probably beyond… sin does terrible things to a person… Fortunately, i am offerin my sufferings up… getting t hrough it…

i think the reason people find this hard to believe is because everyone is such a softie these days… (as opposed to, say, the Depression). They do everything they can to make their lives easier, happier, etc… and keep it that way…

not realizing that easier and “happier” means … 9 times out of 10 - that the person is not adequately working out his/her salvation w/ fear & trembling… if at all… doesn’t even … sometimes realize he needs to do that… until after death… when he comes in contact w/ a perfectly holy God and realizes that he cannot get into Heaven with the slightest stain of sin on his soul…

dracula??? :hmmm:

why … what’s it about?

Okay,
so i have a question. I was on the catholic reading website and they have Junia as a suggested book.
Has anybody read it? would recommend it?
Do any of you know of Junia?
thanks in advance,
eli
blessings to all

Dracula is incredible. On the surface, it is a heroic quest in which Christians are pitted against the devil himself. Told in the first person through diaries and journals, it makes you feel that you are there, part of the band of brave men and women.

I have some theories about the book that are not quite so orthodox. I believe that Bram Stoker wrote it to make fun of Christianity. But that’s JMO and I’m not a literary expert.

Dandelion Wine is the story of a Douglas Spaulding, a little boy who experiences a typical summer in Green Town, Illinois, in 1928. There is nothing particularly wondrous about the summer, but the way Ray Bradbury tells it, it seems magical and mysterious.

I grew up in Illinois, on a farm, so the book has special meaning to me because it’s real.

HOLY BIBLE

WAR AND PEACE by : LEO TOLSTOY

BALZAC all his books! “An impassioned visionary. ALL Balzac’s characters are endowed with the zest for life with which he himself was animated.”

William Shakespeare
THE COMPLETE WORKS
1 COMDIES
II COMEDIES
ROMANCES
POEMS
III TRAGEDIES
IV HISTORIES

JANE AUSTEN : all her books

CHARLES DICKENS : all his books

Gone with the wind by : Margaret Mitchell

THE BRONTE SISTERS
all 3 sisters all books

…so so many that I cannot finished all those classic book lists I have read.

and some new books very well too ,
show it to you::slight_smile:

Harry Potter
Lord of the rings
Eragon

Good book is a great consoler.
so many best books I read not on list too, I must go back now to read CAF, I thought that- our CAF is a book too :confused: :blush::smiley:

It’s not the content in the book that makes it great; it’s the meaning and messages behind it that counts.

Ironically Yours. :heart:

INMHO, Daniel Jay Goldhagen goes overboard in condemning Christianity, a fact some Jewish scholars acknowledge. Indeed, he once wrote a damning article in The New Republic arguing vehemently that Christianity has to remove the Cross from its religious core in order to be a legitimate religion. Now that’s ridiculous.

A more balanced and overall approach may be found in Catholic historian’s Michael Burleigh’s Sacred Causes: The Clash of Religion and Politics, From the Great War to the Great War on Terror. Thoroughly interesting and erudite and a strong defense of the Catholic Church.

For other genocides, one can always read Robert Conquest’s Harvest of Sorrow, about the 7 million Ukrainians starved to death in a genocide by Soviet Russia, or, on a more personal and tragic level, Execution by Hunger by Miron Dolot who lived through the Famine and saw acts of severe brutality and destroyed families left to die slowly in houses all across Ukraine - an incredibly heart-renching tale which shows it was not just the Nazis who committed genocide but the Communists as well. God Bless.

is that why you like it?? :smiley:

childhood IS mysterious & magical… :slight_smile:

I’ll be glad when i can back back there… (Heaven :))

I’m taking a much-needed break from history books… reading about the Russian Revolu, the Fr Revol… i couldn’t take it anymore!

:frowning:

Why do human beings hate each other SO much??? :confused: :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.