What are some of the various Monastic Orders for Men?

I’m aware of the Benedictines and Franciscans, but I’m curious as to what else is out there, and what orders hold pre-1960’s traditions alive (such as if there’s an order that puts major emphasis on the Latin mass as compared to common languages).

Thanks!

There is a listing of monastic orders in the article in Wikipedia on “monasticism”:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_monasticism

For monastic communities that are traditionalist, try googling “monastic” and “traditional” and “latin”. You’ll get lots of hits.

an order that puts major emphasis on the Latin mass as compared to common languages

The orders that promote the Traditional Latin Mass (now called the Extraordinary Form) include FSSP, ICR, and the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius.

Thank you kindly!

I know of two Monasteries that have yet to be mentioned.

1- The Benedictines near Clear Creek, Oklahoma

2- Carmelites near Cody, Wyoming.

I’m sure there are others. FSSP, I don’t think is Monastic, nor is Institute of Christ the King. I could be wrong on that though.

Good hunting.

None of these are monastics and, technically, I believe that only the Cannons are considered a religious order. The others are societies of priests.

Technically the Carmelites are not monastics. While we have hermits, hermits have some differences from monastics. Also the Carmelites in Wyoming are not affiliated with either the O.C.D. or O,Carm. Carmelites. They are under the local bishop.

These, however, are NOT monastic orders. Nor are Franciscans.

There is a Benedictine monastery in Beurron (I think that’s how it’s spelled), France, that is devoted to the usus antiquor. They have a priory in the USA, but I don’t know where.

Benedictines of Clear Creek
Sons of the Most Holy Redeemer
Carmelites of Wyoming
Franciscans of the Immaculate
Canons of New Jerusalem
various SSPX associated groups (such as the Benedictines out in New Mexico)

Thanks for the responses and resources! I have but one more questions:

Are there any Augustinian orders in the USA?

How about the Redemptorists?

How could I forget about the Canons Regular of the New Jeruselem. They adhere to the Augustinian Rules if memory serve me correctly. Dom Danial Oppenheimer is a fine priest and the Order will grow as his lads finish their studies in Rome.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.