What are some ways that scrupulosity and OCD tendencies can impact your life? And what to do about it?

How can scruples/OCD impact one’s religious and spiritual life, their relationships and social interactions and life? And what are some constructive practices to overcome to adapt to such issues?

Peace and Love

The individual involved ends up making very impractical decisions. The thought process is that the practical decision is sinful in some way.

The individual needs to get a subscription to Scrupulous Anonymous.

Do a search here at CAF for scrupulosity, scrupulous, and words like that.

The address and contact information is list there.

A person with scrupulosity needs regular spiritual direction from a person trained to help those with scruples.

A person with OCD needs therapy and possibly medication.

I will re-post an older post of mine

A person struggles with scruples - what ought they do?

A person with scrupulosity --ought to have a* “regular confessor” *who can direct them --and even give them some general principles/rules to follow -to apply (principles for them due to their particular scruples -they are usually not for those with a normal conscience). Thus with their direction they can dismiss scruples. Such is the age old practice in the Church.

Scruples are to be dismissed not argued with.

Scruples are like a barking dog or a hissing goose -one does not stop to argue with a barking dog or a hissing goose does one?

Such ‘obedience’ (except in what is manifest sin - such as if he told them it was ok to murder someone or something certain like that) is key. Such is the age old practice.

As to counseling - that could be helpful depending on the case -but one would want to look for a counselor who can assist one in following the Churches Teachings - not go contrary to them (I have heard CA staff mention catholictherapists.com/) Some person with scrupulosity may yes also suffer from OCD - but the two are not simply equated.

Here was a recent post from Jimmy Akin of CA that I saw in the Register and saved for those who struggle with such.

ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/6-tools-for-the-scrupulous

Also I will add that a person can go through a case of “transient scruples”. Which is good news in a way. For they are more easily dealt with.

Such can be due to being a convert to the faith. Such is noted in theological works in terms of (some of) those who have a conversion (even if they were a Catholic all their life - but now have had a more intense turning to Christ and seeking Christian perfection).

Such can even be helpful for they can make one be more sensitive in conscience in a good way. Helpful that is if you have a regular confessor who can judge your case - and who can then direct you and help you in forming your conscience and in doing so the “transient scruples” can clear up and one can go forward with a better formed conscience and commitment to the Lord.

In any case - a regular confessor is key for those who struggle with scruples - be they transient or a more persistent difficulty.

Scrupulousity is an issue that drives a lot of people buggy.

It’s normal, in that sense.

Go here:

scrupulousanonymous.org

Then do a search on Catholic Answers Forum, with just the word “scrupulous”. This topic has been discussed at great length before and you might benefit from those previous discussions.

Finally, visit Google and type in “Scrupulous Anonymous” and you will come up with many other useful and helpful discussions that hopefully will provide some relief and enlightenment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.