What are sword drills?

I heard a baptist friend of mine talking about doing “sword drills” back when she was in Sunday School (age 5 through about 9 from what I gathered).

What are ‘sword drills’?

It is a review game. All of the children have their Bibles in hand, and the SS teacher gives a Scripture reference, like “John 14:6” for example. Then the children see who can find the reference first. The first one stands up and reads the verse aloud.

It’s a fun way to review verses from the lesson, or help them learn where the different books are. It’s called a “sword drill” because of the scripture reference to the Bible as the sword of the Spirit in Ephesians 6:16-18. :thumbsup:

Yes, I grew up with sword drills. They were great fun for us kids and a wonderful way to get to know your way around the Bible and feel at home in it.

I think that all households should have this fun game incorporated in family time. Parents need to start being proactive in the spiritual formation of their children, and this is really fun for the kids!

At what age does this usually start? This is a great activity to do with kids. Our Catholic schools and religious ed classes should do this - along with “Catechsim” drills!

Well, of course they would have to be able to read. :stuck_out_tongue:

I remember this at about the 5th or 6th grade level. I went to a Baptist school from 5th thru 12th, so as you can imagine, we were really good at it. :smiley: My earliest memory was 5th or 6th grade, and the only reason I remember was because I was very quick at it and won a few titles in my day. :wink:

Excellent idea! I think we’ll start that during our family prayers tonight!

Just make sure you know where to find the verses yourself! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: Nothing worse than when the kids can’t find it and need you to show them and you don’t know where it is either! :rolleyes: :smiley:

Sword drills are FUN!

Another thing that’s fun is memorizing the books of the Bible forwards and BACKWARDS! Try it–you’ll be glad you did!

IF you want to have some fun, call a local Christian and Missionary Alliance church (if there is one in your town or city) and ask them if you can attend their next Bible Quizzing rally.

My husband was a quizzing coach back when we were Protestant in the C&MA. The kids who do Bible quizzing are amazing. One year, they memorized the ENTIRE Gospel of John!

During the quiz, the Moderator asks questions and the quizzers jump up and recount the Bible passage that contains the answer to the question.

I don’t know if they still do this, but the seats have electronic sensors so that the moderators know who the first quizzer to jump up is.

You will be AWED by how fast these kids jump up. Usually the moderator only has a chance to finish part of the question before the quizzers start jumping up with the right answer.

We did a mock quiz rally at our church once, with the kids vs. the adults. The adults were utterly whipped! Of course, most of us hadn’t bothered to memorize the chapter that we were being quizzed on. I think I actually got ONE answer, but I simply couldn’t jump up fast enough.

The C&MA church isn’t the only Protestant denom to do Bible quizzing. I believe the Assemblies of God also offers it. Sometimes kids from other denominations will be on the Quiz teams if their church doesn’t offer quizzing. I don’t see any reason a Catholic teenager couldn’t join the Quiz team.

So if you’ve ever wondered why so many Protestants can shoot out those Bible verses–just remember Bible quizzing!

You know, if Catholic youth groups did Bible quizzing like this…hmmm!

The Church would be losing a lot less of it’s members, they’d be well on their way to defending their faith!

It helps to be comfortable with the written Word and to learn your way around the Bible so as not to be dumbfounded when others are spouting verses at you!

Luckily, I can do that!

I’m glad you brought this up - what is the best way to memorize the books of the bible - that may sound odd, but with so many to remember, any tips on how to memorize them?

Start with the front, (the O.T.) and just memorize say, five at a time. Then add a few more each week or so. It will take a little time, but it’s worth taking it slow and steady. It will stick for a lifetime!

Make up mnemonics

For example: General Electric Power Company = Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians.

The CHALLENGE is the Minor Prophets! At one time, I had a nifty mnemonic, but now I can’t remember it. :frowning: But you can probably make up a better one!

Another useful thing is to consider them by category: The Books of the Law (Gen, Exodus, Lev, Num, Deut), the books of history, the books of poetry, the books of prophecy, etc.

Another thing that helps is to drill them with other people. If you have kids, this is really fun on a boring car trip (assuming that you don’t have a TV in the van, because if you do, the kids won’t be interested in talking with you). If you don’t have kids, have your sig. other, your pals, even your work associates quiz you and recite the books with you.

There’s a little song…No, I don’t remember it now, but I am sure it must be online someplace…Or ask a friendly CMA/Free Methodist/Wesleyan/similar conservative protestant evangelical. Someone will have it on the tip of their tongue.

And yes, sword drills are fun, & a great way to help kids learn their way around the Bible.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also, any church that has AWANA can tell you about Bible quizzing.

AWANA stands for “Approved workmen are not ashamed” and comes from 2 Tim 3:16 “Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” It’s a club ministry; the kids wear uniforms, play games, and earn awards through study and service projects.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.