what are the benefits of having a mass said?

Hi,
I’m just curious what does it mean to have a mass said for someone? Does it really shorten their time spent in purgatory? does it matter if it’s a sunday, weekday or holy day? Thanks

Pride and sense of accomplishment.
Saying a mass in front of people helps you in speech, courage, and presentation skills.

I don’t know if it will shorten time in Purgatory. Well I guess it could by helping your works to get into Heaven.

God Bless.

Sarcasm?

Hi,
thanks for your response, but i think you misunderstood my question i meant when there is a mass said in honor of a deceased person , how does it benefit them? why do we do this? thanks

“The Mass is the most perfect form of prayer”

• Pope Paul XI

“The Celebration of the Holy Mass is as valuable as the death of Jesus on the Cross”
-St. Thomas Aquinas

“The heavens open and multitudes of angels come and assist in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass”
-St. Gregory

“If we really understood the Mass, we would die of Joy”
-St. John Vianney

“For each Mass we hear with devotion, our Lord sends a Saint to comfort us at death”

• Revelation from Christ to St. Gertrude

“Put all the good works of the world against one Holy Mass; they will be as grain of Sand beside a Mountain”
-St. John Vianney

“It would be easier for the world to survive without the sun than to do without the Holy Mass”
-St. Padre Pio

“When Mass is celebrated, the sanctuary is filled with countless angels who adore the divine victim immolated on the altar”
-St. John Chrysostom

“Without doubt, the Lord grants us all favors which are asked of him in Mass, provided they be fitting for us”
-St. Jerome

Once St. Theresa was overwhelmed with God’s goodness and asked our Lord “How can I thank you?” He replied “ATTEND ONE MASS”

“I believe that were it not for the Holy Mass, as of this moment the world would be in the abyss”
St. Leonard of Port Maurice

“A single Mass offered for oneself during life may be worth more than a thousand celebrated for the same intention after death”
St. Anselm

“What graces, gifts and virtues the Holy Mass calls down”
-St. Leonard of Port Maurice

“He who is in the habit of devoutly hearing holy Mass shall in death be consoled by the presence of angels and Saints”
-Revelation from Christ to St. Mechtilde

“Man should tremble, the world should vibrate, all Heaven should be deeply moved when the Son of God appears on the altar in the hands of the priest.”
-St. Francis of Assisi

“…for every Mass devoutly celebrated, many souls leave Purgatory and fly to Heaven.”
-St. Jerome

It either shortens their time in the purgatory, or frees them from it.

The worth of just a single Holy Mass is of infinite worth since it is the re-presentation of Jesus’ sacrifice on Calvary. I have read in a booklet that had an imprimatur that we should offer the Mass for as many things as we can think of when we go to Mass because that way the angels have a good gift to present to God during the offertory. How true this is, I do not know but I suspect that it is true.

Some people may think that it is more beneficial to schedule a mass at the rectory offering the customary stipend for the priest to offer it. When my spouse died, I asked the priest if my daily masses being offered were as beneficial as having the priest offer them. He said DEFINITELY. The only difference is that, whereas I can offer my intention at the beginning of the mass, the priest must make that HIS intention when he celebrates a mass for which he accepts a stipend.

This may bring incentive to attend mass more often on behalf of the departed, especially during this month for All Souls. Those who were unaware of the immense value of their personal intentions in offering the liturgy may find comfort in knowing this.

“The Celebration of the Holy Mass is as valuable as the death of Jesus on the Cross”
-St. Thomas Aquinas

Where does this quote come from? I want to use it for a retreat. Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.