What are the church's view on Abramelin?

He is a magician who taught sacred magic. Who he claims Abraham, and other prophets used.

There are also rumors that some of the Jesuits practice in this magic.

There were rumors in 1930s America that Catholics were storing up arms to take America over.

Ive never heard of him, but it is interesting and Im going to be looking into this guy a bit more.

Regarding sacred magic, I was always taught and believed the fallen angels taught mankind this skill, among other things, I once read a list of ‘forbidden knowledge’ the fallen angels taught mankind, I know magic and Alchemy was one of them, root-cutting (pharmacology) was one, beautification of the eyes (makeup), astronomy, These are the ones I can think of, I believe there was more though.

Personally, I think this kind of magic was common knowledge in biblical times, but over the years, society and humans in general basically just lost this ability. I also believe we are still quite capable of doing this, but I think it would require focus and dedication that modern day people dont have or dont care to have.However I do think some people may still know a thing or 2 about this lost art, but for obvious reasons, probably do not want to make it a well known thing.

The bible has said in the last days, it will be similar to the days of Noah, sometimes I wonder if this means society will re-learn some of these things lost to the ages, I can only imagine what modern people would do should they be able to do real magic, I think crime would go way up, people would be using magic to steal money left and right imo.

Shh. Don’t tell them our plans…Don’t be so reckless! Next thing you’ll utter is the nuclear warheads in the Vatican! :rolleyes:

Oh, they already have Opus Dei! Not only that, they have secretly placed an Opus Dei Bishop in charge of the Los Angeles Archdiocese. Shhhhhhhh! :smiley:

Ssh, that is why the nuns are not wearing there Habit’s anymore they are in disguise to take over the Papal Nuncio Residence. sssh…

Gee, which do you mean - the banned rock band or the 15 cent. book of magic?

To me they’re both horrid. Bad music - bad book - neither good for much of anything at all.

Glenda

Did you know there are secret tunnels between convents and the local presbytery to allow for illicit sex and satanic rituals with newly born babies. The Jesuits are behind everything the masonic Illuminati have in store for America including the computer coding of everyone’s left foot. (That is why they talk of kicking with the left foot.)
Those that find out too much are sent to the local “work of God” center and the Dominicans are called in. You don’t want to know about the resultant horrors.

The present conference on the elimination of slavery set up under the Auspices of the doppelganger Pope is really an attempt to bring the Muslims and the Anglicans into the world government. I would tell you more but the nurse is coming with my meds and I am writing a book.

the book is called “the sacred magic of abramelin the mage”

I trust in the church, but I do believe in the philosophy that God let’s everything play out.

There are evils that God let’s invade his church. He knows good will still come out of it.

The story of Adam and Eve tells us that we suffer from original sin due to our ancestors.

This has strong symbolic meaning because we pay for past corruption of the church/world.

If you see where I’m getting at. Let me just tell you this. There are plenty of things in this world going on under the scenes whether you believe it or not.

Say for example sodium fluoride in almost everything we eat.
Say for example the media only showing certain things to make us know what they want us to know.
Say for example the NSA constantly profiling us through means of the internet for future reference.
Human cloning is already possible. Five fetuses made. Deemed unethical and illegal. Killed them after being created. Do you really think they are not doing Human cloning today? The government is good at hiding things ;]

There are many things that are unknown to man. Why do you think people suffer from poverty? Why does America as a whole continue to borrow money from banks, and barely anyone speaks up about it? If we taxed the banks we would easily MAKE MONEY, and be able to spread that wealth across the nations.

There is a lot more than meets the eye.

I do believe magic in a sense do come from demons depending on what kind of magic is done.

I also believe that plenty of scientific findings were influenced by demons. Magic is a type of science whether people believe it or not. There are plenty scientific findings that are used for complete evil, but they can be used for good yet the corruption in this world prongs us to use it for evil.

I believe this goes for magic too, but higher powers of this world didn’t like the thought of people doing God’s Will via magic, so they plotted a way to make magic as a “WHOLE” to be frowned upon.

Remember the bible does talk about sorcery, witchcraft, divination, and fortune telling, BUT not all magic is of that.

The Book of Abramelin is a medieval work perhaps composed around the 15th century, with the earliest surviving copies of it dating from around the 17th century. The book essentially claims to be authored by a German Jew named Abraham of Worms for his son Lamech. ‘Abraham’ claims to have travelled from Germany to Egypt to meet an elderly mage called Abramelin, who taught him kabbalistic magic. Personally I wouldn’t put too much historical stock in these stories - there were quite a number of grimoires (basically, books on magic) circulating since the Middle Ages claiming to pass down some secret, esoteric knowledge. It’s a common cliche in a number of grimoires that their contents are ‘exclusive’ and ‘never-before-seen’, when in fact at times they’re simply recycling and adapting old material.

Excellent thread. I needed a laugh today. Thanks.

Not meant to be a laughing matter, but glad I can put a smile on your face.

God Bless.

l know. That’s the funny part.

What is so funny about this topic? It is just one forbidden knowledge that the fallen angels taught mankind, what is funny about them teaching mankind something originally meant only for the angels and man using it would have serious implications?

Do you think its funny that the fallen angels taught this to mankind or…???

Response to the “Re” line of this thread, without comment:

2116 All forms of *divination *are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone. 2117 All practices of *magic *or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. *Spiritism *often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.

Catechism of the Catholic Chrurch.

Done here.

Its funny you should mention charms, I have noticed this is a very popular thing today, especially with young girls, they are being conned into wearing these things.I think the church needs to speak out a bit louder about this and make sure these girls know it is wrong and they should not be wearing them. Id also be curious to why catholic schools allow them to wear them at school?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.