What are the communion bread size rules?

:confused:I receive Holy Communion on the tongue directly from the priest. I am in the minority among most Catholics in my area (New England). Usually it’s not a big deal. Some priests may try to flick the Host into my mouth to avoid physical contact. Usually it’s the younger priests who may have not developed the fine motor skills of their older colleagues.
I have noted however that some churches use dime-size communion breads. The small size makes it almost impossible for the priest to avoid contact with the tongue. I first saw these dime-size communion breads used in, of all places, a chapel in a catholic hospital. (Maybe OSHA will have to address this issue.)
Is there anything in ‘the rubrics’ that sets a minimum size for Holy Communion breads? The dime-size breads also increase the likelihood of physical contact between the fingers of the priest and the hands of communicants receiving Holy Communion in their hand.

I am unaware of any regulations specifying the size of altar bread. The General Instruction of the Roman Missal states:

1. The bread for celebrating the Eucharist must be made only from wheat, must be recently baked, and, according to the ancient tradition of the Latin Church, must be unleavened.
  1. The meaning of the sign demands that the material for the Eucharistic celebration truly have the appearance of food. It is therefore expedient that the Eucharistic bread, even though unleavened and baked in the traditional shape, be made in such a way that the priest at Mass with a congregation is able in practice to break it into parts for distribution to at least some of the faithful. Small hosts are, however, in no way ruled out when the number of those receiving Holy Communion or other pastoral needs require it. The action of the fraction or breaking of bread, which gave its name to the Eucharist in apostolic times, will bring out more clearly the force and importance of the sign of unity of all in the one bread, and of the sign of charity by the fact that the one bread is distributed among the brothers and sisters.

The size of the host is dependent upon prudential judgment. As for why a hospital setting would use a smaller host can be explained by the fact that often times patients in the hospital would be attending the Mass. Patients often times (due to illness or medication) have issues with saliva and swallowing, the smaller hosts are easier for them to consume.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.