What are the differences between the Jewish and Christian afterlife?

While I think they’re pretty similar they’re concepts like *Gehenna *that I wonder if they still hold significance or such and some other metaphysical stuff perhaps.

According to Judaism, the idea of an afterlife, or a World to Come, is not explicitly spelled out in the Hebrew Bible although there are intimations of it. Judaism, similar to Catholicism, does believe in a kind of Purgatory in which the soul is purified before entering Heaven. The period of this purification would last no longer than one year and probably less. However, Hell is far less spoken of in Judaism than in Christianity except perhaps as a separation from G-d or an annihilation of the soul in the case of the truly evil. And the FOCUS on an afterlife is found much less in Judaism than it is in Christianity. According to Judaism, this earthly life should be focused on, celebrated, and used for charitable purposes toward others and toward healing the world, as is commanded by G-d’s Law.

What is the explanation or scriptural basis of this limit (one year or less)?
And are the prayers of the living (Kaddish or others) meant to help the deceased relatives or, rather, they are meant to help the bereaved?

Both.

… and all I could think of was red borscht or white?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.