What are the different catholic rites?

What are these catholic rites I’ve read about (i.e. latin, byzantine, etc.)? How are they different from protestant denominations?

Here is a complete article on the different Catholic rites. Please take time to read and understand all of it.

Gerry :slight_smile:

There will be a closed book quiz at the end of the week! :smiley:

[quote=aprotestant1983]What are these catholic rites I’ve read about (i.e. latin, byzantine, etc.)? How are they different from protestant denominations?
[/quote]

For starters, they are Catholic. Your question is a bit vague, as some people (incorrectly) lump the Orthodx Churches with the Protestant; there is about a 500 year difference, as well as the fact that one is based on schism (authority disputes) and the other heresy (doctirinal disputes). the Eastern rites are in many circumstances very close, if not paralell to, the Orthodox Churches.

[quote=RobedWithLight]Here is a complete article on the different Catholic rites. Please take time to read and understand all of it.

Gerry :slight_smile:
[/quote]

This is an excellent post. I need to make a copy and pass it around to my Roman Catholic buddies.

Thanks to the Catholic Answers Forums, I now know something I was neglected to be taught 35 years ago, the differences between the Western Rite and the Eastern Rite Catholic Churches and how they differ from the Orthodox. Thank you! :tiphat:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.