What are the guidelines for dealing with cremated remains?

Good morning,

My husband died unexpectedly last summer in front of me and I still haven’t recovered from this. I am a convert Catholic and converted prior to our marriage so I always relied on my husband for my answers to questions.

When he died I had his body cremated and brought him home. The priest at our church gave me the OK for the cremation but he never mentioned that I should not bring the urn home. This was a surprise to me when I read this on the forum yesterday. What should I do? and why do I have to do anything? I am not sure I am ready for another ceremony or removing his urn from the house. I accept that he is gone but I don’t understand what I am doing wrong in keeping the urn in the house.

I own a plot in a family cemetery that I have had since I was a child. This is not a Catholic cemetery but my entire family is buried there. I think we could both be buried in this plot if both are cremated. What if anything could I do to bury the urn in this cemetery?

Thank you.

We are so sorry for the loss of your husband and will keep you in our prayers. The following links should provide you with the Church’s position on the proper handling of cremains. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Is it correct to keep the cremains of a deceased relative in your home?
How do I decline to scatter human cremains?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.