What are the guidelnes for choosing proper godparents?

My wife and I are in the process of choosing godparents. She wants to have a sibling who is a baptized and confirmed Catholic, but no longer practices the Faith, to be a godparent and I objected to this. Obviously she is upset however I want a practicing Catholic to be a godparent. I know we all have different faith journeys that bring us to Christ; however, I want someone to be at least churchgoing and takes their faith seriously. Am I being uncharitable not wanting this person to be a godparent? I understand there can be a non-Catholic as a godparent, but again want to know if I should just allow this person to be a godparent or stick to my guns and want a faithful, practicing Catholic for this important role?

The following links should help you better understand the Church’s guidelines for being a godparent. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]What are the requirements for godparents?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.