What are the Jewish objections to Jesus?

Does anyone know if there is a book written from a Catholic perspective explaining the Jewish objections to Jesus, with convincing evidence that Jesus is the Messiah? If you know of any websites, that would be helpful too. Many thanks.

Mark

For starters, check in the New Testament, a Catholic book, the Gospel passages regarding the trial of Jesus before the chief priest. Our Lord was condemned and put to death for claiming to be God. According to the chief priest Jesus blasphemed.

Thank you for your response. I am aware that the New Testament is a Catholic and Protestant book, but I think you may have miss understood me. Maybe I was being a little too vague. My original question originated out of my study of Hebrews. I agree with Saint Paul’s description of Jesus as offering himself as a single sacrifice for our sins, not like the priests who stand daily offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. This got me thinking. What is the Jewish objection’s to Jesus. I’m sure Saint Paul knew full well what they were and had a clear understand of why Jesus was the Messiah, but if I could see those objections myself, I might be able to compare and contrast these similarities and objection to Jesus in order to develop a deeper understanding as I read Scripture. Similarly, without understanding the many objections made by Protestants about Catholics, I wouldn’t have understood, or had a deeper appreciation for Scripture had I not been interested in the various objections and arguments. Take Romans for example, now I have a deeper appreciation for grace, faith and good works, not in the sense that these principles are somehow separate from each other, as in grace alone or faith alone. Without this understating, Romans may have continued to be a difficult book for me to understand, but now it’s nice to be able to read Scripture and say, oh, this verse is used by some Protestants to support “Eternal Security.” So this is why I ask this question. Some times it’s helpful to read outside sources on something to deepen ones appreciation for Scripture. All the best!

Yours in Christ,
Mark

Thank you all for reading my post. I found three websites that were helpful in ascertaining my answer.

Yours in Christ,
Mark

What proof do you have that Jesus was the Messiah?
jewsforjesus.org/answers/jesus/proofessay

Evidence that Jesus Christ is the Messiah
matthewmcgee.org/evidence.html

Is Jesus the Messiah?
religionfacts.com/jesus/messiah.htm

Try this site; Society of Hebrew Catholics hebrewcatholic.org/index.html

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

Dear Mark,

Have you thought about reading about Jewish objections from Jewish sources? That might shed some light on the subject from a different angle.

I went on a school trip to a synagogue once, and the lady there said something about how the lion hasn’t laid down by the lamb.

Yes, some of the Jew object to Jesus being the Messiah since they there will be worldwide peace mention in Isaiah, though i think those are supposed to be fulfilled at the Second Coming. One Jewish woman told me she has a problem with Jesus because He was too critical of His fellow Jews, which i thinks unfair since the Prophets were critical of their fellow Israelites, Moses was very critical of the Levites in particular.

Thank you for the information.

God Bless,
Mark

Jesus claimed to be God.

It’s really that simple. Everyone seems to be dancing around that point.

I have. And I absolutely agree with you. I think it’s always good to see things from a different angle. But for starters I like to see if I can get a Catholic perspective first or something similar and then work outward from there.

I found these websites to be helpful in that regard.
Mashiach: The Messiah
jewfaq.org/mashiach.htm
Why Don’t Jews Believe In Jesus?
simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsandjesus/

God Bless,
Mark

You’re right. Thank you for the straight forward answer.

God Bless,
Mark

Thank you for your response.

God Bless,
Mark

You make a good point.

God Bless,
Mark

Mark,

Best to you

I have just nearly finished reading Jesus of Nazereth by your Pope. I am told his next book that follows this one up will be coming out soon, if it has not already. I have been a bit lax in following that up. But, in his book he specifically goes over this topic and he goes into great depth delving into the narrative in a way I have never seen done before (not that I have much to compare it with) He is an amazing intellectual and very profound. I’m re-reading much of what I have already read just because it is so engaging. If you have not already read it, I would reccomend it. I can’t wait to read the next one.

There is not enough time to read all that we ought to. :frowning:

That sounds very good. I’ve had my eye on the book. It looks so interesting. I’ll have to read it. Thank you for the recommendation.

God Bless,
Mark

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.