What are the Jews waiting for in a messiah?

I believe that Jesus was the Messiah but the Jews still wait, are they waiting for God or somebody like Moses and Elijah, a great prophet or even somebody greater than these but not God himself?

Thanks.

These links might be helpful Judaism 101, Jewish Virtual Library, My Jewish Learning.

One very simple reason (and there are others) the Jews did not accept Jesus is that Jesus did not fulfill many of the prophecies of the old testament. The Jews expected a king to assume the throne of David and Jesus did not come as a King to reign over the world. What the Jews really missed is that there are two different “Jesus” described in the old testament, one who would come and suffer (Suffering Servant) and be the Savior and Redeemer of man, and the other who would come as the King who would destroy their enemies and assume the throne of David and rule the world, the Lion of the tribe of Judah. Jews never thought of Jesus coming twice… Jesus came the first time because the world needed a Redeemer so that all us sinners could be covered by His blood and gain salvation through Jesus Christ. The next time Jesus comes he will be the King, the Lion of the tribe of Judah and note that his robe will be dipped in blood, in the blood of His enemies.

A very interesting verses to read is Isaiah 61:1-2 and Luke 4:18 where Jesus reads Isaiah scripture in temple, and then He closes the book and all the eyes are on Him. Jesus says in Luke 4:21; “And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.” Note that Jesus does not say from Isaiah 61 “…, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;”. And a good thing for us as His first coming was not to ascend to the throne of David and to pour out vengeance on the evil of the world led by Satan.

Luke 19:42 and elsewhere in NT, tells us the Jews are blinded as to who Jesus is: “ … Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes.” Jesus held the Jews accountable to know the day of His visitation (stated in Daniel 9). He came publicaly as their Messiah (the triumphal entry) and was rejected. He wept over the city and Jesus (and Daniel too in Dan 9) prophesied the destruction of Jerusalem and their dispersal throughout the world (70 AD).

Later on, Paul in Romans 11:25 tells us about the Jews that the blindness will be lifted when “the fullness of the gentiles” : “For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.”

For Jesus to come back, the Jewish nation must repent, come to Jesus, and seek Him. In Matt as Jesus laments over the Jews to know the day their Messiah comes says”
Mat 23:39 “… For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.”
Hos 3:5 “… Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the latter days.”

From a Baha’i point of view it is the Bab and Baha’u’llah they are waiting for. As a Baha’i we believe all Prophesy has been fulfilled with their revelation.

As a Baha’i I think there is ample proof this is so.

We would say study their lives and words and one may find a it is so.

Of course this is only an offer a Baha’i would make and it is for each to search and believe as they so wish to.

God bless and regards Tony

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.