What are the meaning(s) you've found in Luke 5:36-39?

Actually, I’ve most often seen liturgical meanings in this, but were they all that He was trying to get across? What do you think?

[quote=Luke 5:36-39]36 And he also told them a parable. “No one tears a piece from a new cloak to patch an old one. Otherwise, he will tear the new and the piece from it will not match the old cloak.
37 Likewise, no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins, and it will be spilled, and the skins will be ruined.
38 Rather, new wine must be poured into fresh wineskins.
39 (And) no one who has been drinking old wine desires new, for he says, ‘The old is good.’”
[/quote]

Hi brigid. Good to run across you again. :slight_smile:

I questioned the meaning of this for many years, but finally came up with something a few years back that at least fits in my mind.

My understanding is that when we truly decide to seek God we have to be willing to leave “the world” behind. Much like the parable about disciples not being able to “look back” lest they end up like Lot’s wife.

We don’t put the “fresh” grace of God into our old way of thinking and being for the two are incompatible. In the words of St. Paul, the old passes away and we become a new creation. Our old way of thinking is too limited to follow God with and will “burst” from the pressure.

The closing statement about one who has drunk the old wine not desiring the new for they find the old to be good is a warning in my mind. The Pharisees drank of the “old wine” of the Law and found it good and did not desire the new wine that was the Good News of Jesus. Likewise it is easy for us to become attached to our existing ways of thinking and being and to unwilling to move forward with God without looking back longingly on what we’re leaving behind, for much of it usually seems “good” to us.

God wants our ALL though. He doesn’t want to be mixed in with the other idols in our lives. So we have to become a new skin to hold Him or He will be spilled out when the conflict between old and new arises.

Peace to you,

well I heard this interpretation: in conjunction with a new pastor coming to a parish, who took it to mean it was time to fire all the parish council members and anyone who had been doing any ministry since before the flood, and bring in all new people.

I never thought of idols or comparing it/them to Lots wife. Thanks.

:eek: Oh, dear!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.