What are the most effective prayers for the conversion of atheists?

Surely all good, sincere prayers are beneficial. What are the most powerful prayers regarding conversion? I would think the Rosary… any more suggestions? I heard Fr. Corapi on EWTN saying that before he returned to the church (I don’t know if he had anything to do with atheism of course, but before he had returned), his mother or grandmother prayed a novena to the Holy Spirit that was on the back of a prayer card, and it was soon after that he returned (hallelujah!). If anyone knows of any strong and powerful prayers specifically for conversion (or has a promise of conversion, or you know was greatly beneficial in an atheist’s conversion to the Church), please post them:crossrc:!

Try getting a Green Scapular, have it blessed and say each day, the corresponding prayer, “Most immaculate heart of Mary, pray for us now and the hour of our death. Amen.”

I would also think Our Lady of Guadalupe, who is patroness of the Americas and directly responsible for converting millions of native americans would be a great help as well.

My all time favorite for help on just about anything is the Memorare:

Remember, O most gracious virgin Mary, that never was it known, that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence I fly unto you, O virgin of virgins, my mother. To thee I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O mother of the Word incarnate, dispise not my petitions, but in they mercy, hear and answer them. Amen.

And for really desparate help 9 novenas on consecutive Mondays to Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. I know of only one Church that has these. It is in downtown DC at St. Mary’s (of course).

Perhaps an experiment is in order. Gather a group of say 100 faithers and give each of them one of three different prayers along with 10 or so atheists to pray for. After a year or so compare results. Just make sure to erect some sort of invisible prayer force field to ensure that no one else is praying for the atheists. Otherwise the results might be skewed.

ill make sure to pray for you

Of course some folks are totally hopeless so no matter how much prayer, they’re toast anyway.

Do you prefer butter or jelly ???

I used this prayer a few times before I had faith:

Lord Jesus, you claim to be the way, the truth, and the life. Grant that I might be undaunted by the cost of following you as I consider the reasons for doing so. If what you claim is true please guide me, teach me, and open me to the reality of who you are. Give me an understanding of you that is coherent, convincing, and leads to the life you promise. Amen.

Jelly please.

But what was wrong with my idea? How does one go about determining if one prayer is more powerful than another? Or is that one of those Mystery things?

This site has lots of prayers to peruse through; catholicdoors.com/prayers/ but I would argue that the intention is more important than the words. Just because we speak eloquently doesn’t mean our prayers have more power or weight than those of humble, simple speech.

God bless,

Katherine

The Divine Mercy Chaplet is awesome!

I must agree with the Novena to the Holy Spirit. It truly is powerful; I have used it myself a few times and yes, it worked! Find it at EWTN’s website.

Good, good! Thank you all for the suggestions thus far. Please keep them coming!

Domine Iesus dimite nobis debita nostra, salva nos ab igni inferiori, perduc in caelum omnes animas, praesertim eas, quae misericordae tuae maxime indigent…amen.

I say this prayer before and after every mystery of the Rosary…it is the Fátima prayer.

The notion that you can say a certain, right prayer to get someone to do something else, even convert, is nothing more than magic, sorcery, and superstition.

This is NOT to say we should not pray for the conversion of others, including ourselves.

However, conversion is the work of the Holy Spirit, not mere mortals.

Thats quite a knee jerk but, good advice.

Hi
I know the few words of ethics that i had been .
This article attempts to provide a general introduction to atheism. Whilst I have tried to be as neutral as possible regarding contentious issues, you should always remember that this document represents only one viewpoint. I would encourage you to read widely and draw your own conclusions; some relevant books are listed in a companion document.
I am very happy to see this forum .
Keep posting to us with new replies .

Thank you.

nuimos.

Best in Communication

The most effective prayer is the Holy Mass. If you unite your prayers to the Holy Mass and to the sufferings of Christ on the Cross, they become infinite in value. The best prayer you can pray to console Jesus and convert sinners is to offer up a sacrifice: it can be a small sacrifice - doing something good that you don’t want to do (play, school, laugh, sing, shower, eat, sleep, sex, worship, prayer, charity, walking, etc.) - or it can be a big sacrifice - your vocation (consecrated life, missionary work, theological work, teaching, etc.).

The most effective prayer is the Holy Mass. If you unite your prayers to the Holy Mass and to the sufferings of Christ on the Cross, they become infinite in value. The best prayer you can pray to console Jesus and convert sinners is to offer up a sacrifice: it can be a small sacrifice - doing something good that you don’t want to do (play, school, laugh, sing, shower, eat, sleep, sex, worship, prayer, charity, walking, etc.) - or it can be a big sacrifice - your vocation (consecrated life, missionary work, theological work, teaching, etc.)

Amen to that!!! The Mass is the Most Powerful Prayer.

[quote="bpbasilphx, post:13, topic:166958"]
The notion that you can say a certain, right prayer to get someone to do something else, even convert, is nothing more than magic, sorcery, and superstition.

This is NOT to say we should not pray for the conversion of others, including ourselves.

However, conversion is the work of the Holy Spirit, not mere mortals.

[/quote]

Your comment reminds me of why I need to be patient and charitable towards others.

Thank you for the opportunity to be patient and charitable towards you.

[quote="kleine_katerine, post:8, topic:166958"]
I would argue that the intention is more important than the words. Just because we speak eloquently doesn't mean our prayers have more power or weight than those of humble, simple speech.

[/quote]

[quote="bpbasilphx, post:13, topic:166958"]

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Say the Divine Mercy Chaplet and St. Gertrude’s Prayer continually.
You will help to convert sinners and tepid hearts and also release souls from purgatory.

The Mass is the BEST prayer for any purpose since there is no higher honor to God than the tribute paid by His Only Son.

catholictradition.org/Gertrude/prayer-book4.htm#HOST

catholic.com/library/Common_Catholic_Prayers.asp

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.