What are the Names of the Archangels?

I understand that there are 7 Archangels. I know of the names of 4:Michael, Raphael, Gabriel & Uriel. for some reason Uriel is not mentioned much.

What are the names of the other ones and why is Uriel not mentioned very much? Are they approved of by the Church?

[quote="White_Orchid, post:1, topic:324039"]
I understand that there are 7 Archangels. I know of the names of 4:Michael, Raphael, Gabriel & Uriel. for some reason Uriel is not mentioned much.

What are the names of the other ones and why is Uriel not mentioned very much? Are they approved of by the Church?

[/quote]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Uriel is only mentioned in non-canonical writings, while Michael, Gabriel and Raphael are named in the Bible. I think the other three are not named anywhere.

“The practice of assigning names to the Holy Angels should be discouraged, except in the cases of Gabriel, Raphael and Michael whose names are contained in Holy Scripture.”

Directory on Popular Piety and the Liturgy, no. 217

[quote="McCall1981, post:2, topic:324039"]
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Uriel is only mentioned in non-canonical writings, while Michael, Gabriel and Raphael are named in the Bible. I think the other three are not named anywhere.

[/quote]

Yes, Michael and Gabriel are mentioned in the books accepted by (pretty much) all Christians. Raphael is mentioned in the Book of Tobit. Uriel is mentioned in non-canonical literature.

There are other names in non-Canonical literature too, some of which might be other names for the four mentioned here.

Why is that? I thought it was encourage to seek intercession from them. I just learned of a Chaplet called the Circle of Angels and it names all four listed above.

Isn’t Moroni considered an Archangel in certain non-cannonical writings as well?

[quote="White_Orchid, post:5, topic:324039"]
Why is that? I thought it was encourage to seek intercession from them. I just learned of a Chaplet called the Circle of Angels and it names all four listed above.

[/quote]

Chaplets, prayers and hymns can be created with good means, but some may not be created with Church teaching in mind or reflect doctrinal changes (such as elimination of the term "Yahweh" in recent hymns, with respect to our Jewish brethren).

Your chaplet might have come from another rite of the Church or from Orthodoxy, which, if memory serves, does note more named Angels in its teachings. As Catholics, we're not encouraged to give names to other angels as a gesture of respect for these beings, among other reasons.

You may find this older thread on the same question useful.

[quote="White_Orchid, post:5, topic:324039"]

[/quote]

Obsession with knowing the names of the angels is an invitation to demonic activity. The Synod of Rome (745), for instance, held that Uriel is the name of a demon, not an angel. This judgment was confirmed by Pope St. Zachary.

quote="Spencerian, post:7, topic:324039"

[/quote]

Although that is a side effect, it was not the motivation for the restriction. Cardinal Arinze's directive explains the issue thoroughly and concludes: "Avoiding pronouncing the tetragrammaton of the name of God on the part of the Church has therefore its own [rationale]. Apart from a motive of a purely philological order, there is also that of remaining faithful to the Church's tradition, from the beginning, that the sacred tetragrammaton was never pronounced in the Christian context nor translated into any of the languages into which the Bible was translated."

The names of the seven Archangels are Gabriel, Michael, Raphael, Uriel, Raguel, Remiel and Saraqael. They are listed in the book of Enoch, a dueterocanonical book of the bible.

[quote="Big_Feet, post:6, topic:324039"]
Isn't Moroni considered an Archangel in certain non-cannonical writings as well?

[/quote]

To my knowledge, that name (which sounds suspiciously like a modern Italian name, by the way) was never mentioned in any Jewish or Christian sources.

[quote="UncleBill, post:9, topic:324039"]
The names of the seven Archangels are Gabriel, Michael, Raphael, Uriel, Raguel, Remiel and Saraqael. They are listed in the book of Enoch, a dueterocanonical book of the bible.

[/quote]

The so-called Book of Enoch is not a deuterocanonical book of the Bible. Wikipedia explains further, "It is regarded as canonical by the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church and Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church, but no other Christian group."

[quote="MarkThompson, post:11, topic:324039"]
The so-called Book of Enoch is not a deuterocanonical book of the Bible. Wikipedia explains further, "It is regarded as canonical by the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church and Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church, but no other Christian group."

[/quote]

Guess I should go join the Ethiopians then :D.

I have an Icon from Russia with the 7 archangels on it. They are each listed by name and are ascribed a color, an element and a sign of the zodiac. Does that come from the Ethiopians too?

My Icon looks very similar to this.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e8/Archangels.JPG/200px-Archangels.JPG

I seem to remember Sister telling us in 2nd grade that Lucifer ("Bearer of Light") was also an archangel before the battle with St. Michael. She was telling us that Michael, Gabriel and Raphael are the only three we are supposed to call by name and the only three with a feast day. I don't remember any of the rest of the lesson though.

[quote="Big_Feet, post:6, topic:324039"]
Isn't Moroni considered an Archangel in certain non-cannonical writings as well?

[/quote]

Moroni is the name of the "angel" in Mormonism that suppossedly appeared to Joseph Smith. I've never heard of it any where else other than Mormonism.

Moroni is the name of an angel meessenger in Mormonism. He was instrumental in getting Joseph Smith the golden plates that contained the Book of Mormon.

[quote="Louishacker, post:15, topic:324039"]
Moroni is the name of an angel meessenger in Mormonism. He was instrumental in getting Joseph Smith the golden plates that contained the Book of Mormon.

[/quote]

Pure fantasy!

Wow, that was a lot of interesting responses.
Just to clarify, here is a link to the prayer chaplet I was referring to.

Would love to hear your views on it. I thought it was a beautiful one but like I said- I'm new to this and I'd love some feed back on it. :)

[quote="White_Orchid, post:17, topic:324039"]
Wow, that was a lot of interesting responses.
Just to clarify, here is a link to the prayer chaplet I was referring to.

Would love to hear your views on it. I thought it was a beautiful one but like I said- I'm new to this and I'd love some feed back on it. :)

[/quote]

From the Catholic Encyclopedia

"The only Scriptural names furnished of individual angels are Raphael, Michael, and Gabriel, names which signify their respective attributes. Apocryphal Jewish books, such as the Book of Enoch, supply those of Uriel and Jeremiel, while many are found in other apocryphal sources, like those Milton names in 'Paradise Lost'. "

newadvent.org/cathen/01476d.htm

I got in my car today headed towards work. I had on the Catholic radio station and Mother Angelica was on. And she was talking all about angels. WOW! what timing huh? Did I learn a lot.

She says that its ok to talk to the angels, like your guardian angel. She gave a couple of examples. She said they are like having a relationship with Mary. You can talk with them but not worship them. They are there to help us and we should be nice to them and tell them thank you.

She says its ok to give your guardian angel a name. That she has one that she calls Fidelis which is Latin for Faithful. She calls him that because he has been faithful to watch over her, all her life.

She is much fun to listen too. Has any one looked at my link with the Chaplet- Circle of Angels, yet? :)

[quote="White_Orchid, post:19, topic:324039"]
I got in my car today headed towards work. I had on the Catholic radio station and Mother Angelica was on. And she was talking all about angels. WOW! what timing huh? Did I learn a lot.

She says that its ok to talk to the angels, like your guardian angel. She gave a couple of examples. She said they are like having a relationship with Mary. You can talk with them but not worship them. They are there to help us and we should be nice to them and tell them thank you.

She says its ok to give your guardian angel a name. That she has one that she calls Fidelis which is Latin for Faithful. She calls him that because he has been faithful to watch over her, all her life.

She is much fun to listen too. Has any one looked at my link with the Chaplet- Circle of Angels, yet? :)

[/quote]

I do talk to my guardian angel and also to my children's guardian angels. We say the Guardian Angel prayer together every morning. I haven't named mine, but there's no reason not to. I told my kids they should name theirs. Don't know if they have. Guardian angels are different than Archangels though.

I did check out your link and I don't find anything offensive. I thought it was quite beautiful and it contains some prayers we say daily as a family already. Thanks for sharing it

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.