What are the origins of Halloween?

I’ve heard so many different things about Halloween that I don’t even know what to beleive anymore. One told me that Catholic Ireland started this celebration or the eve of all saints and all soul’s days. Another told me it was old pagan Ireland and its Celtic roots. A geography professor taught me it was a traditional Aztec celebration of the dead, and no matter how hard the Church tried, they couldn’t stamp out this pagan beleif from the new converts, so that they made all saint’s day and all soul’s day the day afterwards, Catholicizing it. I trust the Church’s teachings and records, what do they say about Halloween?

Fatherzach3,

The following links should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on the origins of Halloween. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
][What does the Church teach about Halloween?](“http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=16564”)
]Can Catholics celebrate Halloween?
]
Taking Back Our “Holy” Halloween by Katherine Andes
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.