What are the Scriptural reasons to attend Mass?

My Mother is half way between Catholic and Non denominational and sliding farther awy everyday, when I told her going to Mass was an Obligation she said show me in the Bible where it says we have to go to Mass. I just wondering if it is?

Hi,

Genesis 2:2-3 reads: “And on the seventh day God finished his work which he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and hallowed it, because on it God rested from all his work which he had done in creation.”

Because our Savior rose from the dead on Sunday, thereby fulfilling the Old Law, the Church celebrates Sunday as the Lord’s Day. In # 2181 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, we read: “The Sunday Eucharist if the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (e.g., illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.”

You mother needs to know that Jesus didn’t leave his disciples the Bible; He left them the Church. It was through the authority that Jesus gave to his Church that we have the Bible. This is a fact; not an opinion.

See: catholic.com/magazine/articles/should-catholics-go-to-non-denominational-bible-studies

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.