What are the Sunday Mass rules for personal trips?

I was talking with a friend whose son is fairly black & white about things. He was very worried that he was sinning if he went on a backpack trip with a group.
She told him not to worry, as there would be no opportunity to have Mass in the mountains. In today’s world, however, if we are part of any group, such as this, which is truly in the wilderness, a spiritual communion is all that is possible, and as long as it does not happen on a regular basis, God will understand.

My thought was that in order to be totally righteous, we should organize our lives such that we have access to Mass on Sunday as that is what God wants of us. I can see her point, too.
:confused:
What is Church teaching on this?

Mims3,

These three links should provide every angle of response to your friend’s son’s situation. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Is extended travel an excuse for missing Mass?
Camping
Missing Mass

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.