what are they?

What are all the sacraments? can someone list them and give a brief explanation? :slight_smile: Thanks!! I’m not Catholic yet, but am doing my research! :wink:

Thanks! Katie

There are seven sacraments:

1. Baptism
  2. Reconciliation (Confession)
  3. The Eucharist (Holy Communion)
  4. Confirmation (confirm for yourself all the beliefs and promises made for you by your parents when you were baptized)
  5. Marriage
    -OR-
  6. The Holy Orders (becoming a priest or a nun)
  7. Annointing of the Sick (This is not necessarily done only for someone who is near death. One can receive this sacrament as many times as is needed, such as before surgery, etc).

There’s a list to start with anyway. You could check out catholic.com to research each one. Have you looked into your local RCIA program? That would help, too. Good luck to you and God bless.

[quote=Kater30]What are all the sacraments? can someone list them and give a brief explanation? :slight_smile: Thanks!! I’m not Catholic yet, but am doing my research! :wink:

Thanks! Katie
[/quote]

Sacraments are “outward signs, instituted by Christ, to give grace”. This is a very rough quote from the Baltimore Catechism. To summarize from the Catholic Catechism. There are seven sacraments. They are group in three categories: Sacraments of Christian Initiation, Sacraments of Healing and Sacraments at the Service of Communion.
They are:
Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist - Initiation sacraments
Penance/Reconciliation and Anointing of the Sick - Healing sacraments
Holy Orders and Matrimony - Service sacraments

More detail on what each of these are, is available in on-line versions of the Catholic Catechism or the Catholic Encyclopedia.

Baptism removes original sin, you then enter into the family of God being free from original sin.

Confession/Reconcilition asking forgiveness for your sins receiving absolution. (basically asking God to forgive your offenses) some people go for mortal sins, a grave sin against the commandments others go for venial sins to improve in their daily walk with Christ.

Eucharist/Communion receiving the true body and blood of our Lord. (The greatest of all sacraments) was instituted by Christ at the Last Supper. Also you can refer to the bible quotes where Christ said you must eat my flesh and drink my blood to have everlasting life.

Confirmation basically confirming your Baptism but this sacrament also invites the Holy Spirit and His gifts into your life.

Holy Orders is the sacrament which the mission entrusted by Christ to his aplstles continues to be exercised in the Church. This is the sacrament of apostolic ministry. (Priests receive this sacrament)

Matrimony the sacrament that is received in the church between three people the couple and God.

Anointing of the sick the sacrament that is given to someone who is sick or dying.

There are bible quotes to read on each of these sacraments, sorry its late and I have been working with the second graders on the first four sacraments so you did not get the best definition, like one that comes from the catechism. Holy Orders came from the Catholic Catechism. I hope that helps. I don’t know what religion you are, but if you are bible alone, I can get the quotes for you that refer to everyone of the sacraments practiced in the Catholic Church.:slight_smile:

Great list! Only someone left out the fact that permanent and transitional deacons also receive the Sacrament of Orders.

Deacon Tony SFO

Kater, do you have your copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church yet? A lot of your questions are answered there.

The Sacrament of Holy Orders also includes Rites for the Ordination of Bishops.

Religious (monks and nuns) are not “ordained” in the Western Churches (either Roman or Anglican). Only Bishops, Priests and (Transitional and Permanent) Deacons. Bishops, Priests and Deacons are clergy and are thus entitled to wear a collar. Only Bishops and Priests can confect sacraments.

In the Anglican Tradition, only bishops and priests have sacerdotal orders and solely can pronounce an ecclesiastical blessing, absolve sin, and confect the sacraments of Eucharist, Penance and Unction. Only bishops can confect the sacraments of Confirmation and Holy Orders.

Like Anglican bishops, RC bishops can do all seven sacraments. But RC priests can also confirm, if I’m not mistaken. I believe deacons can also pronouce blessings, and are thus able to solemnize Matrimony. Dn. Tony, could you elaborate, please?

In the Eastern Rite, there are a plethora of ordinations, but only Priests and Bishops are sacerdotal orders (meaning they can confect sacraments).

[quote=Deacon Tony560]Great list! Only someone left out the fact that permanent and transitional deacons also receive the Sacrament of Orders.

Deacon Tony SFO
[/quote]

Thank you for the reminder and I will be more careful in teaching that to the classes that are working on the sacraments.
So sorry:o

usccb.org/catechism/text/pt2sect2chpt1ind.htm

The previous link was for sacraments of initiation.

For all seven:

usccb.org/catechism/text/parttwotoc.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.