What are you giving up for Lent?

I'm not sure yet, so I guess I'm looking for ideas!

nova,
the core of my lenten sacrifices and observances are three:

i'll pray the litany of humility every day
i'll give up salting my food or eating specifically salty foods (not for health reasons. because i love salt.)
no more cussing.

additionally: less chat-- in person and on line
more reparation
more almsgiving

i'm writing this out loud because if i say it, i'm more likely to do it. 'specially the salt and cussing. those will be hard.

the litany of humility:

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved...
From the desire of being extolled ...
From the desire of being honored ...
From the desire of being praised ...
From the desire of being preferred to others...
From the desire of being consulted ...
From the desire of being approved ...
From the fear of being humiliated ...
From the fear of being despised...
From the fear of suffering rebukes ...
From the fear of being calumniated ...
From the fear of being forgotten ...
From the fear of being ridiculed ...
From the fear of being wronged ...
From the fear of being suspected ...

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more than I ...
That, in the opinion of the world,
others may increase and I may decrease ...
That others may be chosen and I set aside ...
That others may be praised and I unnoticed ...
That others may be preferred to me in everything...
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should…

I hope to spend less time online, no sugar in coffee, maybe no supper.
:)
and more praying

I think that I'm giving up desserts and just adapting an overall better healthy lifestyle. I'd really like to give up some of my old habits because they're not beneficial to anyone. I'd also like to adapt a stern policy of always saying something good about someone when others are only mentioning the negative. I've been trying to do that for a while but I still slip up and overall I'd really like to consistnatly have the strength to stand up for people.

not sure yet but probly eating between meals......I am constantly picking if i think of our Lord everytime I pick it would be all day long!!!! I might allow a snack after kids get home so I dont make myself lightheaded though........

I am going with what our parish priest said to try. "Look around and simplify where you can,( get rid of all that stuff) and do one random act of kindness every day." Simplify and be kind, sounds kinda Christian.:D

CAF, and other forums/blog that I am either am part of or lurk on (mostly news related)

Adding daily Mass.

I'm spending Lent studying/reading. I'm already doing Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way for my writing (I'm a Christian novelist), and I'll be going through Full of Grace by Johnnette Benkovic.

I'm also going to sacrifice some sleep. I'm blessed to have a six-month old that sleeps from about 8 p.m. until almost 1 a.m., then from 1 a.m. until 6 or 7 a.m. (sometimes later), so I'm making the commitment to get up at 5 a.m. (an hour before Hubby gets up) to spend time in prayer, get things done around the house, and get an early start to my day. (I won't be altering my bedtime.)

[quote="monicatholic, post:2, topic:187158"]
nova,
the core of my lenten sacrifices and observances are three:

i'll pray the litany of humility every day
i'll give up salting my food or eating specifically salty foods (not for health reasons. because i love salt.)
no more cussing.

additionally: less chat-- in person and on line
more reparation
more almsgiving

i'm writing this out loud because if i say it, i'm more likely to do it. 'specially the salt and cussing. those will be hard.

the litany of humility:

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved...
From the desire of being extolled ...
From the desire of being honored ...
From the desire of being praised ...
From the desire of being preferred to others...
From the desire of being consulted ...
From the desire of being approved ...
From the fear of being humiliated ...
From the fear of being despised...
From the fear of suffering rebukes ...
From the fear of being calumniated ...
From the fear of being forgotten ...
From the fear of being ridiculed ...
From the fear of being wronged ...
From the fear of being suspected ...

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more than I ...
That, in the opinion of the world,
others may increase and I may decrease ...
That others may be chosen and I set aside ...
That others may be praised and I unnoticed ...
That others may be preferred to me in everything...
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should…

[/quote]

Uhhh...Im liking the Litany of Humility.

Cut and Paste for sure...Thanks Monica... :thumbsup:

i will be giving up hot showers this lent :frowning:

i also want to try and stop complaining, gossiping and cursing ( this will be very hard which is why I’m not PROMISING to give it up for lent but trying to just strengthen myself in those areas.)

i will be giving up hot showers this lent

wait. what? can they be warm? it’s still winter. you’ll be all shiverry…

if you give up hot showers you WON’T be giving up cussing. i betcha. just betcha.

I'm giving up complaining and chocolate:)

I’m giving up my diet pop - a true addiction for me. The money I save from it will be donated to a charity.

I’m giving up being negative. Only one more day to be cynical, hmmm… How about: “This will never work”. :smiley:

Well, I think I might try giving up Ice Cream since I’m pretty much addicted to it. I currently eat about a pint or two every day :o

I give up meat every year. this year I’m also going to be trying to choose healthier snacks as well, because I have a killer sweet tooth :smiley: Hehe, that’s my excuse for trying to eat up all my Valentines day candy before tomorrow :smiley:

Sarcasm is not negativity…:stuck_out_tongue: That is what I tell my self anyhow…:rolleyes: Praying for you CS! :hug1:

I am giving up milk in my coffee, I may be giving coffee up all together…have till midnight to decide!
Trying to go to morning mass three times a week, and making at LEAST a half hour of adoration…and I am hoping to be offering that for all of the single women I know, including my sisters. I have two amazing churches right down my block…so the only excuse is if we get another two feet of snow…:rolleyes:

I’m allowing sarcasm. :smiley: As long it is meant in a nice way, if that makes sense. I’m mostly trying to focus on getting rid of negative thoughts: there are no guys who aren’t jerkfaces, I’ll never find a job, I’ll die half eaten by my cats, etc. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m going to try to pray the rosary everyday. And go to daily Mass, if can wake up in time. :sleep:

I’ll be praying for you as well. :hug1:

I wholly support that! :thumbsup: Plus you are on my prayer list that I am bringing to adoration with me, so if you have any other intentions (besides the man of your dreams…:wink: which we are all praying for) please let me know! :slight_smile:

I’m adding in a daily Rosary, but also want to do one other thing. I like the idea of getting up early, although doing that w/ maintaining the same bedtime is a setup for failure w/ a young child . . . I also like the idea of daily Mass. Maybe I’ll start getting up early for daily Mass twice a week? Checking to see if that will interfere w/ my work schedule or not.

People might also want to check to see if there is a 40 Days for Life campaign in their area that they can participate in this year. Time is a great Lenten sacrifice, especially when it is sacrificed to pray for the unborn.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.