What are you giving up for Lent?

With the exception of watching movies, I'm giving up playing the XBox 360 (but not Wii). It's crunch time anyway, so it won't be that hard. How about you?

[quote="Gift_from_God, post:1, topic:231864"]
With the exception of watching movies, I'm giving up playing the XBox 360 (but not Wii). It's crunch time anyway, so it won't be that hard. How about you?

[/quote]

this year im not giving up anything...i wanted to use this lent to pray more so im adding ALOT of prayers and devotions for the holy souls..and i have a notebook to carry around with me to keep count of what i have completed and what i still have to pray

As far as giving up something, I will be giving up soda. But, that might be too easy as I don't drink soda all that much anyways. I will give up being angry a lot. I tend to fall easy prey to road rage and I am quite hard on my children. So, I will ease up on them. I will also devote time to praying the rosary more.

For the last several years I've been giving up coffee for Lent. The first year I did that, I treated each Sunday as a "mini Easter" and partook of after-Mass coffee and doughnuts... and had coffee headaches each Tuesday!

Preferring just one day of headache every Lent -- rather than one day of headache every week -- I now go "cold turkey" (or is that "cold coffee"?)

I am alone all day and my only "company" is TV, radio, DVDs, CDs, etc. until my dh comes home from work. So, I give up all that while alone doing my daily tasks. Believe me, I feel it since I usually have something on to listen to/watch. It gives me more time/less distractions so I can be quiet, pray, meditate and read good spiritual reading.

I'm giving up meat in general and having vegan Fridays. I'm also giving up facebook (which is probably a good thing, though I'm not addicted to it like many people my age! :)). I gues I'm just going to try and eat in an appropriately "Lent-y" way...no candy and such, though I don't usually eat candy anyway. In the way of prayer, I'm going to try and say one chaplet per day whenever possible.

Red Bull... All energy drinks in general. I heard they will kill you anyway. :D Plus, I am making a commitment to pray at least one extra prayer a day - for someone I don't know... Going to the Prayer Intentions section of CAF and reading the situation and then praying.

Profanity. I have a bad habit of cursing. I would blame it on my son, but he doesn't put the words into my mouth.

I can't give up the internet completely. I am going to cut back though.

And talking too much. I find myself blabbing on far too long and too often.

Facebook, junk food and soda

Cigarettes.

Adding a daily rosary; doing a technology fast (except CAF, PM and other religious sites) increased spiritual readings.

Since I'm technically not Catholic I don't think I "have to" give up anything but I'm planning on it. The problem is that I can't decide what exactly. I'm thinking probably junk food or maybe just peanut butter... I know that sounds kind of odd but I eat it almost daily.

[quote="mdrummer5, post:12, topic:231864"]
Since I'm technically not Catholic I don't think I "have to" give up anything but I'm planning on it. The problem is that I can't decide what exactly. I'm thinking probably junk food or maybe just peanut butter... I know that sounds kind of odd but I eat it almost daily.

[/quote]

Welcome to the journey! Yeah, even if you aren't obligated to practice the Lenten penances/fasts (although if you are in RCIA I rather expect they would require you to follow the "rules and regs") it's always good to do so anyway. The things we Catholics practice are good for all Christians (apart from the strictly Catholic Sacraments), and indeed even non-Christians because they have spiritual benefits for anyone who wishes to please our loving God. :) It's why anyone may receive ashes on Ash Wednesday or make the sign of the cross or pray the Liturgy of the Hours. God is always happy to have people make the effort to draw close to him rather than not.

Snacking between meals, and reading books. Both are biggies for me but the reading is a biggie since I always have my nose in a book at least some part of every day.

I am however, reading my stack of Catholic magazines and learning and understanding our beautiful religion more.

[quote="mdrummer5, post:12, topic:231864"]

[/quote]

Give up Rift you slouch:D

I'm giving up more of myself and my personal time. I'm trying to go to Mass even moreso throughout each week and spending alot of time in contemplation. Even here at work I sit alone and think and talk to God.

[quote="Gift_from_God, post:1, topic:231864"]

[/quote]

To all -- this is not something you wear on your sleve it is between you and Jesus

[quote="Karl_H, post:16, topic:231864"]
To all -- this is not something you wear on your sleve it is between you and Jesus

[/quote]

True, :tiphat: but in sharing we give seekers and lurkers and others who might read our posts ideas for what to give up or what to contribute. Also, we can help each other with some of the difficulties of sacrifice (we all can use a bit of spiritual direction) and we can have a bit of fun with a topic that can sometimes be overly solemn. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.