What are you making for dinner tonight?

Please help me. I’m out of ideas. What are you having for dinner tonight? I’m drawing a blank.

Thanks!

Janelle

bean soup made several weeks ago, in a freezer container, nuked at work. the next time I cook at home, which will be Friday, will be poached turbot fillets, asparagus, carrots, and hash browns (cleaning out the freezer)

I made quesadillas last night with chicken. I totally forgot how easy they are!

Perogies are super easy too… with a side of broccoli.

What do YOU usually make?

Sorry - I’m not much help tonight, I’m doing the bachelorette routine and probably just having Mrs Grass Noodle Soup and a sammich. :slight_smile:

~Liza

My guess, DH will make 'sketti tonight.

We always go to my MIL’s on on Tuesdays… she usually gets a rotisserie chicken from the grocery, makes green beans and corn to go with it… and a baked potato too!
Did I mention she also bathes the kids? :stuck_out_tongue:
(yeah, we’re spoiled!)

Last night I made a pre-marinated pork loin… those are super easy!
Salad and carrot sticks on the side (my boys love baby carrots dipped in ranch dressing!)…
Simple, but it works!

I have only two recipes that I can do.

1. Grilled cheese sandwich

2. Chicken Caesar

It’s basically Shake and Bake, except:

Use boneless/skinless chicken thighs or breasts. Chop up some prosciutto ham (regular ham or cooked bacon can be used, as long as it’s dry). Mix with some creamy caesar dressing. Add some lemon zest; if no zest, add some lemon juice. Cut a slot in the breasts, or unroll the thighs. Put a spoonful of the mix you just made into the chicken, then close/roll back up. Don’t put in too much, it’ll squirt out the side. You can add some lemon zest to the Shake and Bake, or you can moisten the chicken with some juice before you bread it. Bread the chicken with the Shake and Bake, then cook as normal. Add some grated Romano or Parmesan just before it’s done.

You can probably sub different things, like maybe ranch dressing, or Greek with black olives, or whatever, I don’t know. I’m not sure of proportions, either. When I make it, I just go by sight, and say, “That seems like enough”.

It’s a recipe I kind of made up in bed one night during a bout of insomnia. I basically took a chicken caesar salad and turned it inside out, with a few substitutions: prosciutto for the bacon, Shake and Bake breading instead of croutons, and no lettuce.

I have no culinary skill whatsoever, but DW liked it, and she’s a foodie, so…

(On the other hand, she may also be of the philosophy that “My favourite meal is the one she didn’t have to cook” :smiley: )

Hope this helps.

Chili w/ sausage, rice, corn and salad.

Turkey burgers, broccoli, brown rice. Not terribly exciting but my family loves it, it’s cheap, and it’s healthy.

My go to meal is tonight. I call it “Ditch the chicken breasts”. lol. (everything I end up making uses boneless skinless chick breasts it seems)

Chicken thighs with curry.
Couscous
Spinach

So easy it’s ridiculous. Some people are weird about curry but actually it’s a very kid friendly way to spice up chicken as it’s got cinnamon, nutmeg, and all those usually sweet spices in it. My picky kids love it.

Chicken…

Get some chicken thighs, and sprinkle both sides liberally with garlic salt, curry powder, then a bit of paprika and cayenne. Rub into thighs on both sides. With skin side up cook at 400 for 45-60 min. Done.

Couscous…

Boil 1 cup water. Add one cup couscous ( you can make more the ratio is always 1:1). Turn off heat, stir once, cover with lid. Let sit 5 min. Fluff with fork. Toss with a bit of butter, salt, pepper, golden raisins, and sliced almonds. Done.

Spinach.

On stove cook package of cut leaf frozen spinach with a few tablespoons water. Drain well. Toss with butter or olive oil, salt, pepper, smidgen nutmeg. Done.

The only think that takes any time to cook is the chicken, and while it’s cooking I just make the other two things. When the chicken come out I’m done.

If I have extra time I do a sauce too. I take the chicken out of the pan, and deglaze with a touch of water (maybe 1/4 cup) and a can of coconut milk. Add honey and cilantro, salt and pepper to taste. Done.

But the chicken is plenty good sans sauce.

Good luck with dinner !:slight_smile: :wink:

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas!

Here’s what we’ve made in the last week:

cheese manicotti
Tacos
Ham and potato soup
chicken fried rice
Pizza from Papa John’s
Burgers with sweet potato fries

I just found the stuff for chicken and zucchini enchiladas in the fridge, too.

Chicken Parmesan w/ Penne Rigate

And everyone gets sent to school/work with chicken parm heros tomorrow!

We are having leftover lasagna, but I guess that doesn’t help you unless you have one sitting in your refrigerator, so…

Here’s an old dish I have made a lot…very easy to make:

Title: Chicken Dijon

Ingredients:
4 chicken breast halves, boneless & skinless
1 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon lemom pepper
1 6 0z pkg long grain and wild rice mix - or -
–2 cups hot cooked rice
3 tablespoons butter
Chicken broth
1/2 cup light cream
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Directions:

1. Sprinkle chicken with onin sale and lemon
    pepper. Prepare rice.

2. In a skillet over medium heat, cook chicken
    in butter about 20 minutes, until tender and
    cooked through. Remove to a platter and
    keep warm.

3. Measure pan juices. Add enough chicken
    broth to make 1 cup liquid. Return to skillet.
    Mix light cream with flour and add to skillet.
    Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
    Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in
    Dijon mustard.

4. Spoon sauce over chicken and serve with
    rice.

Serve with a little steamed broccoli or
green beans, and you’ve got a complete meal.

Hi Janelle;

How about some healthy pizzas? We buy those ‘flat out’ breads (near the deli section) in whole wheat/low carb, and put veggies, cheese, and sometimes tomato sauce drizzled over them…then, we make a side salad. That’s what’s for dinner at our house tonight–you should try it. My kids are pretty picky eaters, but we are all eating healthy these days, and no more making them something extra. They actually ask for these pizzas now. I’m going to put roasted eggplant on them tonight–bon appetit! Let me know if you ever try this…it’s truly yum.:slight_smile:

That sounds like a great variety right there!

Funny you mention that… I just made my first “homemade” pizza last week!..
I bought one of those Boboli pizza crusts and made a veggie pizza (pregnancy was craving! :p)… and it turned out really great!
I’ll have to try using the generic flat breads and pitas, though… I’m sure that would cost less than the Boboli crusts (the whole wheat one was great, though!)…

Reservations:D

Sorry, I know its an old joke, but I’m old.

Ah yes–Boboli–another fave of mine!:slight_smile: It is a little higher in carbs than I’d like–if they could come out with a low carb version, that would be heaven-lee.:o You should try the flat out–they come in a lot of flavors…you and baby will like, I bet!:smiley:

If you have a Trader Joe’s near you they have balls of refrigerated pizza dough for 99 cents. That makes homemade pizza easy.

We got one of those from Sam’s for Easter. mmmmm
It was marinated in asiago pear and asiago cheese. It was SO rich and yummy.

Maybe we’ll have spaghetti. Or maybe we’ll have leftover chicken andouille gumbo.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.