What are your favorite and least favorite films?

Through Mary, Queen of Apostles,

Who doesn’t like a good film? While I do read alot about movies and books to see their plot points, their pros and cons and I’m also a fan of the Nostalgia Critic and thatguywiththeglasses.com (even though don’t like alot of their crude humor) I don’t see alot of movies and when I do, it has got to be a good film or one which I could make fun of. That said, here are my favorite films in no particular order and my least favorite films. What re yours? If possible, say why they are your favorite and your least favorites.

My favorite films:

Watchmen: I love this movie. I love the graphic novel. Watchmen has everything that I like in a story: a beautiful style, it is thought provoking, compelling characters, good direction, atmosphere and as a plus, it has slooooowww mooootiiioooooon. Just kidding with the last part but as I said, Watchmen is on this list because of all this and because it introduced me to the infinitely better graphic novel which is my favorite book of all time. However, don’t read it unless you have a very strong faith.

Dark City: I saw this film yesterday and saw it again today with my dad and again, this is a film that has alot of things which I like. Its thought provoking, suspenseful and aside form the atmosphere and feeling of the film, it truly is one of the best movies ever made. In fact, it is also one of Roger Eberts favorite films. A warning though: the opening narration spoils the film to hell. Its a good thing I knew it because it reveals alot of things and plot twists which you would find out during the film. The narration spans from a shot of the night sky until a man turns his head and looks at his watch. Mute it until then.

Fight Club: Again another thought provoking movie. There is no need for me to explain this as I’ve spoken to death of it before. However, I don’t think devout Catholics can handle the ultra violence and alot of the sexual undertones of the film. To me, showing sexuality, violence and evil acts can be done without sinning, as long as a) it is shown negatively or, and my preferable method,b) it is left up to the viewer to determine whether the act was evil or not. I love morally ambiguous works such as Watchmen and Fight Club. The moral dissonance of the characters gives the story a whole new depth and more potential to be good but that is just my opinion.

Iron Man: One of the greatest superhero films of all time in my opinion. Everybody and I mean EVERYONE of the actors was excellent, especially Robert Downey Jr’s. We get to see why Tony Stark does the things he does and even though he is a bit of a jerk, Tony is still very likable. I especially love the scene where he rescues the villagers from the terrorists and, though I’m against killing criminals, Ironman is still supposed to be an anti-hero and the sequence just showed how much Tony really cared.

The Dark Knight saga Its Batman like we always wanted him to be; he doesn’t kill people. 'nuff said.

I like Braveheart : Based on a true story but not really . The historical events are
true .
I like Rob Roy with William Neison . ITs about scottish highlander in I think the 1700s who has to battle for his life against an English Lord and his men .Settles it in a sword fight with Tim Roth.(costar)
I like Gladiator with Russ Crow .
Cinderella Man with Russ Crow .
"The Eagle " . The list goes on . I am in to the non fiction and epic films

I definitely have to agree with you on fight Club and Christopher Nolans Batman series(Especially the Dark Knight.)

Theres also Gran Torino(great portrayal of love and contains a great Christ Figure),
The Green Mile(amazing and moving plot and another great Christ figure),
Secret Window(a great thriller),
Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail(its hilarious),
The Prestiege(another great suspense film),
Shawshank Redemption(great story of hope)
and Inception(very good movie, great premise, and a wonderful ending).

[quote="Disinherited, post:1, topic:253375"]
Through Mary, Queen of Apostles,

Who doesn't like a good film? While I do read alot about movies and books to see their plot points, their pros and cons and I'm also a fan of the Nostalgia Critic and thatguywiththeglasses.com (even though don't like alot of their crude humor) I don't see alot of movies and when I do, it has got to be a good film or one which I could make fun of. That said, here are my favorite films in no particular order and my least favorite films. What re yours? If possible, say why they are your favorite and your least favorites.

My favorite films:

Watchmen: I love this movie. I love the graphic novel. Watchmen has everything that I like in a story: a beautiful style, it is thought provoking, compelling characters, good direction, atmosphere and as a plus, it has slooooowww mooootiiioooooon. Just kidding with the last part but as I said, Watchmen is on this list because of all this and because it introduced me to the infinitely better graphic novel which is my favorite book of all time. However, don't read it unless you have a very strong faith.

Dark City: I saw this film yesterday and saw it again today with my dad and again, this is a film that has alot of things which I like. Its thought provoking, suspenseful and aside form the atmosphere and feeling of the film, it truly is one of the best movies ever made. In fact, it is also one of Roger Eberts favorite films. A warning though: the opening narration spoils the film to hell. Its a good thing I knew it because it reveals alot of things and plot twists which you would find out during the film. The narration spans from a shot of the night sky until a man turns his head and looks at his watch. Mute it until then.

Fight Club: Again another thought provoking movie. There is no need for me to explain this as I've spoken to death of it before. However, I don't think devout Catholics can handle the ultra violence and alot of the sexual undertones of the film. To me, showing sexuality, violence and evil acts can be done without sinning, as long as a) it is shown negatively or, and my preferable method,b) it is left up to the viewer to determine whether the act was evil or not. I love morally ambiguous works such as Watchmen and Fight Club. The moral dissonance of the characters gives the story a whole new depth and more potential to be good but that is just my opinion.

Iron Man: One of the greatest superhero films of all time in my opinion. Everybody and I mean EVERYONE of the actors was excellent, especially Robert Downey Jr's. We get to see why Tony Stark does the things he does and even though he is a bit of a jerk, Tony is still very likable. I especially love the scene where he rescues the villagers from the terrorists and, though I'm against killing criminals, Ironman is still supposed to be an anti-hero and the sequence just showed how much Tony really cared.

The Dark Knight saga Its Batman like we always wanted him to be; he doesn't kill people. 'nuff said.

[/quote]

Honestly, I don't have a favorite film. I can't really think of anything I like of the top of my head. It's really sad. Any suggestions? Oh wait, I liked Gandhi.

The Passion of the Christ was ok, but I think it was misguided. Mel Gibson was using this as kind of an emotional purgation. I just don’t think it was anything that truly glorified Jesus in a good way at all.

I don’t really like any of these movies people mention. They may be entertaining, but I don’t think they are any good. I would really like to see a really good movie for once. There Be Dragons looks interesting. I think that is what it is called. It is about Jose Maria Escriva, founder of Opus Dei. The Mission with Robert De Niro seems interesting as well. That’s about the Jesuits I think. I just haven’t gotten around to watching them yet.

We’re No Angels was a funny movie but not very useful to watch. Maybe some movies are ok to pass the time, but really not much out there is really any good at all. I wish people would start making some truly GOOD movies and not just stuff that entertains and dazzles people.

I personally like certain operas, but you can’t really call those “movies” unless you buy them on DVD or something. I happen to have a few opera DVDs, but I haven’t watched them in a while. I’d say The Magic Flute and The Marriage of Figaro by Mozart and Fidelio by Beethoven are my favorites.

I also like good performances of Shakespeare’s plays. Again, those aren’t necessarily “movies”. The Hollywood productions of Shakespeare plays aren’t very good at all. Mel Gibson’s version of Hamlet is horrible. He has Hamlet kissing his mother like she is his girlfriend, tongue and everything. That’s just a total distortion of Shakespeare’s intent and dishonest way to portray the original work.

i only get around to see the cartoons these days current favorite, Despicable Me, followed by Up! and then surfs up.

Favorite: Love and Death by Woody Allen, 1975. If you went to college and took any liberal arts courses, you can’t help but laugh.

Least Favorite: too many, or I haven’t seen it yet. A Clockwork Orange and anything with the American Pie series come close.

[P.S - does anyone else feel that a lot of movies produced from the mid-70’s through the mid 80’s are far better and substantial than stuff before and after? The Classic Era of Hollywood is grand, but always has to be placed in a historical context, IMO]

Favorites of all time: Glory, The Elephant Man, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Patton, Dr. Strangelove, The Shawshank Redemption, The Hospital, Network, The Godfather, Goodfellas, Steel Magnolias, Stepmom, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Lion King, Up, A Star is Born, Inception, Taxi Driver, It's A Wonderful Life, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Airplane, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Dark Night, To Kill a Mockingbird, Titanic, The Lord of the Rings (All three), A Hard Day's Night, The Sound of Music, Yellow Submarine, Rear Window, Vertigo, Schindler's List, A Man for All Seasons, Ben Hur, The Passion of the Christ, Jesus of Nazareth (Technically a miniseries, now presented as a long form movie on DVD), Casablanca, 2001, 2010, The Cowboys, True Grit, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, Sometimes a Great Notion, Glengary Glenross, Dad, Steetcar Named Desire, The Passion of Joan of Arc, The Gospel According to St. Matthew, Apocalypse Now, The Searchers, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Candidate, Saving Private Ryan, The Bicycle Thief, The Deer Hunter, The Seventh Seal, Somewhere in Time.......many many more. I think this is most of the biggies that I watch every year or two

Movies I don't like: Pretty much any in which sex or violence are the primary plot driver, yet it is not a morality play in some sense. In other words, just blatant sensationalism without provocation to thought, or moral and ethical dilemma. If the story is about something, and not just a series of sexual or violent vignettes stuck together as a movie, then I'll probably at least watch it. Sex and violence must be in direct context to the script, and the script must be well written. I know some on my list wouldn't seem to meet that criteria, but I would have disagree on a movie by movie basis. This is just my overall standard. With few exceptions, I like sex scenes and extreme violence scenes to be only as graphic as they need to be in order to make an important point in the story, and only to the extent of depth needed to make the necessary point to the story. For instance, the first few minutes of Saving Private Ryan are quite graphically violent, but it's important subtext to the understanding of the motivations of the characters throughout the rest of the movie. Also to understand the environment where the story is taking place, and horror of war.

Blessings,

Steven

Don't have a favorite, too many good films out there over the years.

Least Favorite: Grease. worst message to young girls in any film ever.

Casablanca

Apocalypse Now

One of my very favorite films of all time is the Sixth Sense. Sooooooo good!
:thumbsup:

normally I don’t like Bruce Willis but this one and Disney’s the Kid are both excellent

I think Jerry McGuire should be required viewing for anyone who enters into a relationship with someone who already has kids, but in general I don’t like Tom Cruise

I’ll start with my least favorite as there’s only one or two I can care to mention right now:

Priest - Before you think this has to do with my religion, spare me. I make fun of my own religion at times too. Unlike the movie though, I try not to use too many typical, rehashed, anti-establishment cliches.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - I’m not even a huge comic book fan. I was just severely disappointed with what they did to characters I DID like. Gambit. Deadpool. Heck, even the Blob. Oh but nooo… whoever wrote the darn thing had to twist 'em beyond recognition, give 'em very little screen time, and at worst had them killed off (cheaply at that). The fact that one of my favorite musicians in it got killed off also killed off what little redeeming qualities it had for me.

Avatar - This is the best example that no matter how hard you work at your graphics, a sucky, cliche story of Cowboys VS Indians is still just that. For goodness sake, can we please not have another film where the bad guys are resource-hungry, techno-military morons and the good guys are the sweet, tree-hugging natives?

The Last Airbender: I liked the cartoon series. Even though I have never watched it fully, what the live-action version did was try to clam all the awesomeness of the first season in the worst possible way. The graphics were not even that impressive.

Okay, time for films I DO like and good Lord do I have a hard time picking the ones to present here.

The Bucket List - I’m sure you might find this surprising if you even have so much as a slight hint of my movie tastes. Still, this film really gave me a lot to think about. I mean I gotta face it. 50 years from now, I’m gonna end up like that too and I’d certainly wouldn’t like it if I realized just how much of my life I let pass by me.

Pirates of the Caribbean - Yes, I’m talking about all four of 'em. I say to heck with the critics. Everything from the music, the comedy, and the story all calls out to me. In the words of Jack Sparrow, “It’s a pirate’s life for me.” :thumbsup:

Howl’s Moving Castle - My favorite Miyazaki film. The animation was good. The character design was even better. And the story? Well, let’s just say it was one of the cutest romances I’ve seen so far. :smiley: I loved how near the end, the main character Sophie was slowly returning from her short, cursed form and back to her young, pretty teenage self. The best part was that her hair color didn’t change. It’s an amazing thing in anime when silver hair on old people is plain but suddenly becomes beautiful on younger characters. (Don’t worry senior citizens, a reverse with other colors also has the same wondrous effect. :thumbsup:)

The Mummy - No, not the original. I’m actually talking about the one with Fraser. I don’t care how many Egyptologists will cry inaccuracy. The movie really expanded my image of a fantasy, ancient Egypt as well as distinguishes a certain universal monster from the rest of popular undead fiends. :wink: That and Ardeth Bay’s style of narration is the kind of cliche I actually like. :stuck_out_tongue:

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children - The story’s pretty decent but it’s the action scenes that really impressed me. It really amazes me that Square-Enix is capable of producing such fast-paced yet highly detailed fight scenes. If I were to describe just one scene with words, I’d fill at least five pages with 12-font size text. Also, you can call the males there androgynous all you want and milk the pear jokes dry… but Sephiroth scares me… and he always will.

I've seen many movies that I've liked. Comedy is my favorite genre.

My number one is Top Gun. I loved everything about it, especially the sound effects.

My least favorite movie is called Mr.Wrong. It's not a very popular one. It came out in the mid 90's. Stars Ellen Degeneres and Bill Pullman. I thought it was just way too weird because of how it ended.

Jerry McGuire. Forgot about that one in my list. Excellent. Think of it as a Cuba Gooding Jr. Movie. :wink:

More faves:

The Green Mile, Driving Ms. Daisy, Cool Hand Luke, Bad Boys, The Queen, A Scanner Darkly, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, The Ten Commandments, Exodus, The Bridge of the River Kwai, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blazing Saddles, The End, High Anxiety, The Jerk, Roxanne, Parenthood, Cocoon, Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe, Day of the Dolphin, What's Up Doc?, Butterflies are Free, Billy Jack, Benjamin Button, Forest Gump, Philadephia, Apollo 13, Swing Vote, Take the Money and Run, Finding Nemo

Favorite: Either Chronicles of Riddick or the original Conan the Barbarian (not the remake). Yes I know I just said Conan twice.

Least Favorite: Of movies I will actually watch, Serenity. There are plenty of worse movies, but Firefly just rubs me the wrong way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.