What are your favorite church interiors?

We are looking to define and beautify the interior of our church. I would be so grateful if you could leave links and images of your favorites in order to help me brainstorm ideas.

Also would like to do a Christ pentacrator or a Risen Christ if you have nice images or thoughts on this. Thank you in advance.

Cathedral of Christ the King in Atlanta.

CTK2CTK3

Very mysterious and powerful. Thanks for response.

This is a church in Atlantic, Iowa I used to go to near my hometown. Recently, when I revisited, they somehow managed to make it even more beautiful by painting the ceiling dark blue and adding golden stars, like a night sky. Sorry for the bad pictures they’re the only ones I could find. There is actually a lot more detail and painted images you can’t see in the main photo. I can take some better ones if you’d like.

Adoration chapel, Clyde Monastery, MO. Visited with retreat group, we were overwhelmed and had to sit in the pews and cry. Stain glass windows to the right and left ( not visible in photo) depict each of the twelve apostles.

Thank you so much for sharing. This is truly stunning.

Sorry I don’t have pictures, Basilica Cathedral St. Louis, MO, Holy Name, Chicago, and Santuario de Chimayo in NM. St. Mary Major (hard to beat an image of Mary and Jesus painted by Luke)

I was just there last week! My aunt is a nun there. That monastery is so incredibly special to me, and the chapel is one of the most beautiful that I have ever seen.

I spent two hours in the relics chapel greeting all the saints. It was like meeting long lost family. I think all Catholic school children should visit there. The holy place had a lasting impact on all of our retreatants, especially those discerning vocations, it was a focus point.

So many to choose from!
The Ettal Monastary in Oberamergau Germany

Prague castle basillica

Sacre Coeur in Paris

Basillica of the Holy Blood in Brugge, Belgium

St Nicolaus Church in Prague

Saint Chapelle - Paris

The church in Salzburg (Can’t remember the name, but its where the wedding in The Sound of Music was filmed)

A giant church carved 100 meters underground in a salt mine near Krakow, Poland

Obviously, St Peter’s Basillica

The Salzburg Baroque Cathedral

Not pictured: Santa Familia in Barcelona, because it’s been too long since I’ve been there and my pictures from that visit (15 years ago) don’t include all the progress made since then

You should post a pic of the interior of your church as it is now, or something similar, so we know what kind of space you have to work with. This is the interior of a church near me, taken last Advent. Sorry though, it’s not a professional photograph. I like Mary with Our Lord painted in the dome, though.

And here is another nice painting in the dome over the altar at another church near me in Santa Monica.

I’ve been to some amazing churches in Europe, but I’ll just share some from Cleveland and Ohio, my home.
First up, St. James, where my family went sometimes when I was little and I loved looking at all the painting of the apostles and saints on the walls, and the Zodiac on the ceiling. It’s modeled after a 16th century Sicilian cathedral. Former Bishop tried to close it but it was miraculously saved.

Here’s St. Stephen’s, where they never took out the original high altar or communion rail. They have EF and OF Masses there every week. For the OF they just roll a portable altar up in front.

This is St. Stanislaus, which is in a bad part of town (even worse than the one St. Stephen’s is in) where many churches and everything else have bit the dust. I think it’s still open though. I haven’t been there yet. Next time I’m in town I will go.

The Maria Stein Shrine of the Holy Relics, in western Ohio. This photo doesn’t do it justice. It’s much more beautiful in person.

Edited to add, with so many beautiful churches out there to discover, this is why I don’t go to the same one every week, although I do financially support the three parishes I have ties to whether I’m at the Mass there, or someplace else.
A priest from my hometown parish was saying to me, why do people go to Europe to see beautiful churches when we have them right here in town and nobody goes to them? I figured he was right, and started doing my own “mass mob” since the organized one in the area had given up the ghost…I just go around myself and see different churches on weekends when I have time.

Casilda, such a good idea to bring the kids there, and I hadn’t thought of this. We have a BEAUTIFUL, amazing reliquary right around the corner from us, and I think it would be especially touching for them to experience. I keep forgetting. It’s tucked away in the corner of the church breezeway, unfortunately.

S[quote=“Tis_Bearself, post:14, topic:450398, full:true”]
This is St. Stanislaus, which is in a bad part of town (even worse than the one St. Stephen’s is in) where many churches and everything else have bit the dust. I think it’s still open though. I haven’t been there yet. Next time I’m in town I will go.

[/quote]

This is just gorgeous! It has the lighter colors that I’m aiming to incorporate. Our church is pale blue and off-white. I want to dress it up a little by painting filigree borders and adding more gold into the mix. Christofirst, good idea on showing a picture of my church:

So happy photos are easier to upload here. :slight_smile:

So, the picture is bland, mostly bc the lights were shut off, but the actual center arch surrounding the gold area where the Eucharist is kept is a very pretty pale blue. I keep feeling drawn to do a standing, risen Christ with outstretched arms within a circle orb like the beautiful one Chris linked, and put it right above the gold Eucharist… area. The hanging cross above the altar is very beautiful as well, but I think it would be very effective if we have the circle of Risen Christ directly behind it, I also want to do pattern or tile around each arch, including on the wings, and paint the beautiful ceiling patterns in a pale blue and gold.

The architecture of the church itself has always bothered me. Although I know it is done to gather around the altar, I still often find myself getting distracted by looking at the people on the other side, and feeling self-conscious as well. Also, there are no areas for separate devotional statues.

Hmmm. The architecture of your church is very different from most of the pictures posted here, due to the low ceiling. I also think the acoustic properties of the church are very important, and these low-ceiling churches usually have carpeting and a very dull acoustic. Are you considering doing anything with that as well?

Have a look at St. John the Apostle, Leesburg VA.

http://www.saintjohnleesburg.org/base.cgim?template=photos_completed

It is a new church, just a few years old. I believe it cost $12 million.

I spent two hours in the relics chapel greeting all the saints. It was like meeting long lost family. I think all Catholic school children should visit there. The holy place had a lasting impact on all of our retreatants, especially those discerning vocations, it was a focus point.

The relics chapel was always my favorite place to go when I was younger! I would always tell my parents we couldn’t leave without seeing it, even though I had seen it many times before! :grinning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.