What are your favorite WAR movies of all time?

Longest Day
Patton
Paths of Glory
A Bridge Too Far

to start.:slight_smile:

Tora Tora Tora about the attact on Pearl Harbour 12/7/41:thumbsup:

Saving Private Ryan
Come and See (Idi i Smotri)

And if any movie where warfare plays a prominent role counts, Braveheart, Starship Troopers, Independence Day, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Willow. :stuck_out_tongue:

All Quiet on the Western Front
Kelly’s Heroes
55 Days at Peking

A Bridge Too Far
Midway
Das Boot
Inglorious Basterds (I know…I know…)
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon
The Longest Day

1. Kelly’s Heroes
  2. Shenandoah
  3. Glory
  4. Henry V (Branaugh)

Cross of Iron - I think everyone knows this movie.

Rome Open City, especially the end sequence where the German office is unable to make an Italian priest betray his comrade and he goes to his death willingly.

They Fought For Their Motherland - this is a Soviet movie about soldiers involved in the Great Patriotic War (or WW2 as we call it) and is pretty grim more akin to Cross of Iron than some of them ore upbeat portrayals of war you saw some times.

Come See. Another Soviet movie. Should be seen by everyone, provided you can get past the harrowing sequences. It is one of the few movies in which massive brutality is not gratitious but there for good and sufficient reason and yet strangely enough it manages to end optimistically with a sequence in which the main character in a surreal dream scene is given the chance to shoot what is implied to be Hitler as an infant and yet refuses. Showing despite the horrifice experiences he has been through he is not yet totally brutalised.

Letters from Iwo Jima:- One of Clint Eastwood’s better moments I feel for numerous reasons.

Sands of Iwo Jima:- And oddly enough despite the fact that in many respects Wayne and I would have fought like bats out of Hell over politics I like this movie as his main character is sympathetic and while not perfect clearly a man of honour and dedicated to keeping his troops alive if he can.

The Wind That Shakes the Barley:-For been the nearest any movie has ever gotten to portraying the events of the Irish independence struggle in an intelligent and nuanced way. It’s infinitely superior in my view to Neil Jordan’s Michael Collins.

Gone With the Wind. It shows how a society can get so wrapped up in itself that it cannot see the evils it created nor face the thought that they could have been wrong about such a crucial issue as slavery. Forget the love story, it’s really about Southern society of the times, its weaknesses and its strengths.

Bridge over the River Kwai, The Dirty Dozen and Gettysburg.

The Blue and the Gray

Braveheart

Henry V

Kenneth Branagh’s Henry V

Michael Mann’s Last of the Mohicans

The Blue Max

Black Hawk Down
The Great Escape
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Guns of Navarone
Where Eagles Dare
Saving Private Ryan

Band of Brothers
The Patriot
Platoon

Saving Private Ryan
The Pianist
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
The Patriot
Braveheart
Hanoi Hilton
Born on the 4th of July
Casualties of War
Pearl Harbor

(granted they are not all total war movies, but the war element is there)

Many of the above plus , Deer Hunter.

Das Boot
Glory
Gettysburg
Battle of the Bulge
Midway
Tora, Tora, Tora !
A Bridge Too Far
Braveheart
Apocalypto

:thumbsup: It has excellent character contrast.

Top is tied between Black Hawk Down and Saving Private Ryan.
Tora, Tora, Tora
Glory (I’m glad I’m not the only one)
The Patriot is great
Braveheart
Gladiator

A lot of good ones mentioned. One that has not been mentioned yet that I think is very good…

Enemy at the Gates

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.