What are your favorite WESTERN movies of all time?

I’ll start with a few of mine.:slight_smile:

The Magnificent Seven
Shane
The Wild Bunch
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Hombre
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Besides Blazing Saddles?! :slight_smile:

I saw a wonderful movie years ago called The Way West, with Kirk Douglas. I don’t remember any details, but I really enjoyed the movie. Lots of different storylines, so it was very “plotty”, which I like.

My husband likes The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.

My father-in-law is a huge fan of Westerns, and he loves the whole Lonesome Dove saga.

My favorite actor, Robert Patrick, was in a Western called Texas Rangers. It was an attempt to make an “old style” Western movie, but it kind of turned into a showcase for Ashton Kutcher. It was still a good movie, considering that it was made in 2001 and not the 1950s. Robert Patrick was just perfect for his role–if Hollywood ever decides to try to make another big Western (and actually puts some money and talent into writing and producing it), I hope they will call upon him again to sit in the saddle–he really looks like “the Old West.” Warning–the movie shows hangings, so don’t rush out to get it and watch it with your family of little kids!

Tombstone
Unforgiven
3:10 to Yuma

oh yeah, Liberty Valence, great movie.
Red River

As a kid I liked those old westerns: Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, Lash LaRue. Also all the old comic books of the same genre.

Later, I really liked High Noon, and Dances with Wolves. Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee was also quite good.

I would say anything with John Wayne in it but I recently watched all the movies on netflix by John Wayne and have discovered that when he does a musical its dreadful and anything with a large squid/octopus usually goes badly… I had no idea such films by John Wayne existed…

I suppose The Shootist was one of my favorites.

The Cowboys - John Wayne.

Remember this one? Young boys who started out timid and fearful, helped him on a long and difficult cattle drive with many obstacles and in the end, became very tough young men. :slight_smile:

True Grit, the original.

The Outlaw Josey Wales- Clint Eastwood
Anything with John Wayne or Clint Eastwood.

Hi
I know it’s not P.C. but
“Blazing Saddles” is the greatest western!
(IMHO) :stuck_out_tongue:

Dante

In no particular order: Shane…How the West Was Won…Bad Day at Black Rock…The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance…The Wild Bunch…High Noon

The Shootist was a great movie.:slight_smile:

**My favorites are:

High Noon
The Searchers
Ox-Bow Incident
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Magnificent Seven
Blazing Saddles ( I’ve never looked at beans the same since ! :smiley: ).
Dances with Wolves
Little Big Man**

Shenendoah—Jimmy Stewart, of course.

How the West Was Won—which I saw in the original Cinerama (Cinerama is celebrating, it’s 60th anniversary this year)

Silverado

Open Range–Robert Duvall

Rooster Cogburn - John Wayne and Kate Hepburn…what a pair.

Stagecoach

El Dorado Which was something of a remake of Rio Bravo…Also a good movie.

Silverado.

And just for fun…McLintock…not a great movie on it’s own…but I always like John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara together.

Then there is a movie I’ve always liked that is kind of a sleeper.
It’s called “Mountain Men” with Charlton Heston and Brian Keith…

Peace
James

Hang 'Em High

The Quick and the Dead

I haven’t seen “How the West Was Won” but the book was great!
However, Conagher ( from another Louis L’Amour novel was good -starring Sam Elliott who was made to play cowboys and Katharine Ross).and as a musical fan, I want to put a plug in for “Oklahoma!” and “Paint Your Wagon”.
I just saw “Giant” on DVD and it qualifies as an epic. How about “The Man from Snowy River”?
I’m putting " The Trip to Bountiful" with Geraldine Page up too-an awesome sense of place, the call of home and the west, the bad guys (in this case the kids) and the epic quest. An awesome film.
An can I get a witness for “Thelma and Louise”?

Unforgiven - one of my top favorite movies

Giant may qualify as an epic and a good movie, but not so much as a Western. Likewise Thelma and Louise.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.