What are your guys favorite latin hymms

My favorite is Salve Regina

1 Like

Hmm… do sequences count? If so, Dies Iræ!

4 Likes

Nothing beats Agnus Dei for me

2 Likes

O Filii et Filiae
Alma Redemptoris Mater
Paradisi Portae
Veni Creator Spiritus
Asperges me
Ubi Caritas et Amor
Adeste Fideles
Veni Veni Emmanuel
O Sanctissima
Magnificat

And maybe a couple others that I’m not remembering now.

4 Likes

Pange Lingua Gloriosi

3 Likes

I O Sanctissima, Adeste Fideles and Veni Veni Emmanuel are some of my favorites too

3 Likes

Tantum Ergo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swns4Kjzc9E

5 Likes

I love Thomas Aquains’s hymms they are beautiful

2 Likes

Tantum Ergo for me too

2 Likes

Me three!

Can we just make that our official CAF motto song?

3 Likes

Not all of those are technically hymns. The Salve Regina is an antiphon. In the liturgy, the only true Latin hymns that follow a poetic metre are in the Divine Office.

My favourite sequence is Lauda Sion for the solemnity Corpus Christi, especially the verses starting at “Ecce panic angelorum”. I’m not fond of the Dies Irae (musically). I also like “Victimae paschali”.

As for true hymns, I particularly love Venantius Fortunatus’s hymns Vexilla Regis (for Holy Week and the feast of the Holy Cross) and Pange Lingua also for Holy Week (not to be confused by the Aquinas hymn; the Aquinas hymn is relating to the Eucharist; the Fortunatus one is about the Passion.

0 Likes

Panis Angelicus

5 Likes

2 Likes

I love the lyrics to that song I had to do a calligraphy project using some Latin phrase quote song anything really and I chose that.

1 Like

Adoro te devote.

3 Likes

Adoro Te Devote
Jesu Rex Admirabilis
Panis Angelicus
Salve Regina
O Salutaris Hostia
Tantum Ergo
Te Deum
Lo, How a Rose E’er Blooming (Latin version… I forget what it’s called!)
Venti Veni Emmanuel
Alma Redemptoris Mater
Adeste Fidelis
Pange Lingua Gloriosi

0 Likes

I’m glad you said this cuz I was about to. :nerd:

Yes! I sing this in my head after communion.

Due to Christmas I’ve recently had Corde natus ex parentis stuck in my head. I prefer it to its English dynamic equivalent Of the Father’s Love Begotten even though when I try to sing it I frequently slip into the Sanctus by accident (which the tune was originally written for).

0 Likes

a solis ortus cardine

0 Likes

Not strictly speaking a hymn but I love the Salve Regina sung to Dominican chant.

2 Likes

3 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.