What are your qualifications?

A poll to get an idea of the qualifications of the people posting here.

Er there are no poll choices. Do you want us simply to summarise our various levels of education?

Is this yet another thread about how single people should be banned from posting on threads about marriage issues, childless folks should not be allowed to comment on threads involving children, and no one under the age of 25 should ever be allowed to post anything at all because they are too immature and inexperienced to ever contribute anything worthwhile? :shrug:

I sure hope it’s not…

[quote="JharekCarnelian, post:2, topic:245043"]
Er there are no poll choices. Do you want us simply to summarise our various levels of education?

[/quote]

There are poll choices now...

[quote="Charlotte1776, post:3, topic:245043"]
Is this yet another thread about how single people should be banned from posting on threads about marriage issues, childless folks should not be allowed to comment on threads involving children, and no one under the age of 25 should ever be allowed to post anything at all because they are too immature and inexperienced to ever contribute anything worthwhile? :shrug:

I sure hope it's not.....

[/quote]

Not at all. There is a lot of counseling and advice that gets offered here and some of it can deal with quite serious topics ranging from when to break off a marriage to the best way to break free from addictions. I thought it might be useful to know how the people who post here are qualified.. If I missed your study or specialty just specify it in the comments.

I’m not sure I understand the motivation??? :confused:
People come to these forums with the basic understanding (I would hope/assume) that they’re talking to the “general public” (probably mostly Faithful Catholics)…
If they were wanting to seek advice from qualified professionals… they would (I would hope/assume) go to a qualified professional…* right?*

Faithful Catholics are allowed to give personal opinions/advice when asked…
No one is putting up pretenses… :shrug:

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:6, topic:245043"]
I'm not sure I understand the motivation??? :confused:
People come to these forums with the basic understanding (I would hope/assume) that they're talking to the "general public" (probably mostly Faithful Catholics)...
If they were wanting to seek advice from qualified professionals... they would (I would hope/assume) go to a qualified professional...* right?*

Faithful Catholics are allowed to give personal opinions/advice when asked...
No one is putting up pretenses.... :shrug:

[/quote]

Of course Catholics are free to post whatever they like on the internet. There is no snark intended in the poll. All I am asking is if there is anybody in here who is a mental health professional. Sometimes the opinion of faithful Catholic stray into the topic of whether the OP's spouse has a personality disorder or the OP should get a divorce and seek a declaration of nullity, so I thought it might be useful to know where these opinions come from.

There was a similar poll in the Moral Theology section that basically asked what people's qualifications were for talking about moral theology. I thought it was interesting and a little enlightening so I thought I would ask a similar question over in the Family Life forum.

I’m tempted to say “general public” and put an end to it but just in case this matters to anybody, when I say something about canon law, I know what I’m talking about (although I’ve been wrong once or twice since I’m not a proper canon lawyer, I just had a limited training in it in law school and a long-standing interest).

Also, when I’m talking about old school manners you should generally assume I’m infallible. :tada:

my qualifications to participate on the Family Life forum
I grew up in a family
I raised a family
I work with families

qualifications for advice and counsel as requested on these forums:
none for situation that require professional advice or treatment, and even if I were, it is forbidden by forum rules to give such counsel

qualifications for advice and counsel I would give to my own daughters
plenty
I am the grandma, the mom, and the MIL which means I can talk all I want–once they ask they ask for my help or opinion
until then I keep my mouth shut

same with this forum
if you do not want answers, advice, sharing or other input,
DON’T ASK

If an answer is not helpful to you at this time, in this situation, simply disregard it.
Do not look for ill-meaning where none was intended

I type that so often I may change my signature.

Flawed poll. The choices are not mutually exclusive but the poll is not set up for multiple responses. Go back and try again.

I would be surprised if there were many here that were certified mental health professionals. I have studied Psychology and Theology, but I wouldn't advocate anyone basing important life decisions upon my advice. :p

I think it is natural for Catholics who are going through a rough patch and who might feel at a loss as to where to turn to come to "catholic.com" in the hopes of getting some input while still remaining anonymous. Perhaps they don't yet feel comfortable approaching their pastor or tracking down a counselor. I try to be sensitive to that when I respond to people looking for advice.

And I always try to underscore the fact that I am not a professional Counselor, nor a trained Pastor of souls. Just a guy who knows what he knows and has seen what he's seen who likes to share in hopes that something he says sometime may be of some small benefit to someone. :o

I'm not qualified, but give out my opinion. :p

I have had a lot of hard knocks experience.

I try not to offer counseling. I do offer advice from time to time but usually with a caveat.

I think lots of people are coming here more to just have someone to talk to. I would hope no one is seeking professional level advice but just general advice to help them make decisions?

I have a psychiatric diagnosis, but I didn't see that listed in the poll responses. :D

LOL, rich!!!

I can’t imagine that a professional counselor, psychiatrist, etc. would give out free advice on an online forum to people that they don’t know from Adam.

An online forum is a place for people to chat, share advice, solicit opinions, debate (in a friendly way), and try to help each other.

An online forum is not the place for a professional to dispense their professional services.

Most of us go to our moms or dads for advice even if they’re not nurses, bankers, doctors, counselors, real estate agents, insurance agents, plumbers, carpenters, etc.

The Bible says that young women are to learn from older women, and young men from older men. That’s why I post here

I am an older (middle-aged!) woman who has been married for 32 years and has raised two daughters. There are times when I think that my experiences and knowledge can be of help to a younger woman.

I do have some expertise in certain areas. E.g., if anyone here has a figure skating question, bring it on! Waiting eagerly for your figure skating questions!

Other women can make the same claim; e.g., some of the women on this forum know lots about breastfeeding, and that’s traditionally how women learn to breastfeed–from experienced breastfeeders. Other women here have been through tough times in their marriages and have a lot of wisdom to impart about staying in love. Still others have lived through diseases, addictions, mental illnesses, etc.

We can learn a lot from each other.

I did counselling courses as part of my Diploma in Ministry and my Bachelor of Theology yet the poll doesn't really seem to recognise these as anything other than just being a faithful Catholic.

While I may be in the process of pursuing an Advanced Degree in a certain field mentioned there is no way that I would come online and give that kind of advice to nameless/faceless people with that kind of qualification attached to it. There is a caveat that this is an internet forum with a certain kind of anonymity attached and with that anonymity comes less face to face interaction. Human interaction is hard enough.

Also not to be tongue in cheek but your poll does not allow for multiple answers. Are you saying that someone who is trained in psychology cannot be a faithful Catholic?

if you think i'm outa my league here, you should see the ruckus i create on the quantum physics chat board.

[quote="Cat, post:16, topic:245043"]
I can't imagine that a professional counselor, psychiatrist, etc. would give out free advice on an online forum to people that they don't know from Adam.
An online forum is not the place for a professional to dispense their professional services.

[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking.

Any such people who are here would only give the kind of general advice that just about anyone else would give.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.