What are your thoughts on the pope's call for Christian unity (video link)

Here the Pope out, and let me know your thoughts on this topic.
youtu.be/k-8ahwAT5_k

I think we should be united, read John 17

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is this video about how Protestants and Catholics should get united?

We shouldn’t get united. The Protestants need to unite with the Catholic Church. The only way of unity is if they accept their errors and accept the Catholic Church’s teachings. The harsh reality is that Protestants are going to hell, unless they repent, and if we try to unite with them it’s just going to make things worse and make them and other Catholics think Protestantism is ok.

The Bible said there is one true church, not multiple.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT. wrong
Just plain not Catholic teaching.

Correct actually. In fact, it is infallible Catholic teaching.

“The most Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews and heretics and schismatics, can have a share in life eternal; but that they will go into the eternal fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels, unless before death they are joined with Her; and that so important is the unity of this ecclesiastical body that only those remaining within this unity can profit by the sacraments of the Church unto salvation, and they alone can receive an eternal recompense for their fasts, their almsgivings, their other works of Christian piety and the duties of a Christian soldier. No one, let his almsgiving be as great as it may, no one, even if he pour out his blood for the Name of Christ, can be saved, unless he remain within the bosom and the unity of the Catholic Church.” - Pope Eugene IV

Saint Ambrose (died A.D. 397): "Where Peter is therefore, there is
the Church. Where the Church is there is not death but life
eternal. …Although many call themselves Christians, they usurp the
name and do not have the reward."
(The Fathers of the Church)

Saint Augustine (died A.D. 430): “No man can find salvation except
in the Catholic Church. Outside the Catholic Church one can have
everything except salvation
. One can have honor, one can have the
sacraments, one can sing alleluia, one can answer amen, one can have
faith in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy
Ghost, and preach it too, but never can one find salvation except in
the Catholic Church.” (Sermo ad Caesariensis Ecclesia plebem

Saint Cyprian (died A.D. 258): "He who has turned his back on the
Church of Christ shall not come to the rewards of Christ; he is an
alien, a worldling, an enemy. You cannot have God for your Father if
you have not the Church for your mother. Our Lord warns us when He
says: `he that is not with Me is against Me, and he that gathereth
not with Me scattereth.’ Whosoever breaks the peace and harmony of
Christ acts against Christ; whoever gathers elsewhere than in the
Church scatters the Church of Christ."
(Unity of the Catholic Church)

St. Thomas Aquinas lists these 6 items as sin against the Holy Spirit, which is unforgivable according to the Bible

despair: which consists in thinking that one’s own malice is greater than Divine Goodness, as the Master of the Sentences teaches,

presumption: if a man wants to obtain glory without merits

or pardon without repentance

resistance to the known truth,

envy of a brother’s spiritual good, i. e. of the increase of Divine grace in the world,

impenitence, i.e., the specific purpose of not repenting a sin,

obstinacy, whereby a man, clinging to his sin, becomes immune to the thought that the good searched in it is a very little one.

I’m sorry, but are all these saints “bzzztt, wrong”?

This is why I don’t like the idea of Christian unity. The Protestants our enemies of the Church, they are the reason why we don’t have unity in the first place!

I am quite impressed with Pope Francis.

Jon

What you said was:

The harsh reality is that Protestants are going to hell, unless they repent.

That is not what the Catholic Church teaches.
Do a search on the topic on CAF
Read the documents of Vatican 2.
etc…

Once the pope repents and joins the rejoins the church, I will be happy to unite with him.

The reality is that full Christian unity already exists.

It is the one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

The existence of so-called Christian churches outside Her, is not a lack of Christian unity. It is the existence of churches which are not part of the Christian Church.

There has never been disunity within Christendom. The have been large bodies of poor fools who have left the state of Christian unity in the Church; but that is not a disunion within the Church. That is members of the body simply leaving the Church and refusing to return.

That is rebellion, not protest. It is schism, not disorder.

Excellently worded.

So I listed about 5 quotes from famous saints. Then you tell me I’m wrong without even bothering to look at the quotes. You don’t even show me anything from Vatican 2.

If your going to tell me I’m wrong, can you do some work and find out any documents that says I’m wrong.

By the way, no salvation outiside the church is infallible! You can’t disagree with it.

There is a difference between “extra Ecclesiam nulla salus” and what you said:

The harsh reality is that Protestants are going to hell, unless they repent.

Lumen Gentium
vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19641121_lumen-gentium_en.html
Chapter 2 “On the People of God”

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p3.htm

Wounds to unity

817 In fact, "in this one and only Church of God from its very beginnings there arose certain rifts, which the Apostle strongly censures as damnable. But in subsequent centuries much more serious dissensions appeared and large communities became separated from full communion with the Catholic Church - for which, often enough, men of both sides were to blame."269 The ruptures that wound the unity of Christ’s Body - here we must distinguish heresy, apostasy, and schism270 - do not occur without human sin:

Where there are sins, there are also divisions, schisms, heresies, and disputes. Where there is virtue, however, there also are harmony and unity, from which arise the one heart and one soul of all believers.271
818 "However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers . . . . All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church."272

819 "Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth"273 are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: "the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements."274 Christ’s Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him,275 and are in themselves calls to "Catholic unity."276

Can you see the difference between “extra Ecclesiam nulla salus” and

Protestants are going to hell, unless they repent

?

Even as a Protestant, I’ve had trouble truly understanding the nature of Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus and what seems to be a new understanding of the doctrine since Vatican II. Clearly the understanding of it was completely different before and I think this youtube video shows that:

youtube.com/watch?v=vQWv3Muc5PI

Beautiful gregorian chant in it too. I adore gregorian chant. Just to point for fun, Pope Boniface XVIII is quoted in this, Dante put him in his Eighth Circle of Hell in The Divine Comedy. Love me some Dante too.

I also find this interesting from St. Cyprian in “De unitate ecclesiae,” he states:

“if a man deserts the Chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, does he think that he is in the Church?” (iv.); “He can no longer have God for his Father who has not the Church for his mother; . . . he who gathereth elsewhere than in the Church scatters the Church of Christ” (vi.); “nor is there any other home to believers but the one Church” (ix.).

Would this apply to Benedict XVI? This also shows a harsh interpretation of Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus.

All this is saying is that Protestants don’t sin if they are brought up in a Protestant church. However, if they are fully exposed to Catholicsm, and reject it, they commit the sin against the Holy Spirit, and go to hell unless they change their minds.

They could be saved by invincible ignorance, but that is very rare and most likely not the case for most Protestants

Vatican 2 is saying that if a person is born into a family that deserts the Chair of Peter, he doesn’t commit the same sin as the first person to seperate from. However, if they eventually know everything about the seperation and then agree with his/here family, then they do commit the same sin as the first person did.

It says what it says.
What it doesn’t say is

Isn’t it presumptuous to claim salvation is rare for protestants?
This might be a problematic passage from Lumen Gentium for a lot of us:

They are fully incorporated in the society of the Church who, possessing the Spirit of Christ accept her entire system and all the means of salvation given to her, and are united with her as part of her visible bodily structure and through her with Christ, who rules her through the Supreme Pontiff and the bishops. The bonds which bind men to the Church in a visible way are profession of faith, the sacraments, and ecclesiastical government and communion. He is not saved, however, who, though part of the body of the Church, does not persevere in charity. He remains indeed in the bosom of the Church, but, as it were, only in a “bodily” manner and not “in his heart.”(12) All the Church’s children should remember that their exalted status is to be attributed not to their own merits but to the special grace of Christ. If they fail moreover to respond to that grace in thought, word and deed, not only shall they not be saved but they will be the more severely judged*.(13*)

On can have richness outside the Catholic Church, one can have the Eucharist, one can sings hymns, one can read the Gospel, one can sing ‘Alleluia’, one can eat and drink, but one thing one cannot have outside the Catholic Church: eternal salvation." - St. Augustine, Doctor of the Church.

And what is your point, in relation to your assertion?

Who disagrees that the Church is necessary for salvation? Anyone here?

Do you understand the Church teaching on salvation?
No. You understand part of it.

Where does it say that Protestants who willingly reject the Catholic Church and have full knowledge about the matter can go to heaven? I don’t think it does.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.