What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts on this artwork?

mcnaughtonart.com/

…(reminds me of mormons)…

Excellent - apart from the possible implication that Jesus approves all things in the USA. That idea is fetishism & idolatry.

With that weighty reservation, I think it is very good, especially in technique: though a Jesus in contemporary clothes might have been even better.

It’s interesting but I’m not a fan. It makes it looks like Jesus drafted up the constitution or something. I don’t think so…

I am left thinking that he believes Jesus cares/cared only for the US. And, if he did and was trying to “point” anything out to the deists that crafted our laws, I can only wonder why he never actually did. Fanciful imaginations going on in Utah.

Looked through his gallery. He’s a mormon. He has a painting called “coming to Zion” that shows pilgrims crossing what I can only guess in the US. He also has a painting of the mormon temple is SLC titled “Gate to Heaven.”

I also don’t like the painting showing George Washington as if he were a christian. George Washington was a deist, so while he believed in God, he wouldn’t bother praying to “him.”

George Washington’s Prayer Journal @ cbn.com/spirituallife/prayerandcounseling/intercession/washington_prayer_sundaymorning.aspx#

Almighty God, and most merciful father, who didst command the children of Israel to offer a daily sacrifice to thee, that thereby they might glorify and praise thee for thy protection both night and day, receive, O Lord, my morning sacrifice which I now offer up to thee; I yield thee humble and hearty thanks that thou has preserved me from the danger of the night past, and brought me to the light of the day, and the comforts thereof, a day which is consecrated to thine own service and for thine own honor. Let my heart, therefore, Gracious God, be so affected with the glory and majesty of it, that I may not do mine own works, but wait on thee, and discharge those weighty duties thou requirest of me, and since thou art a God of pure eyes, and wilt be sanctified in all who draw near unto thee, who doest not regard the sacrifice of fools, nor hear sinners who tread in thy courts, pardon, I beseech thee, my sins, remove them from thy presence, as far as the east is from the west, and accept of me for the merits of thy son Jesus Christ, that when I come into thy temple, and compass thine altar, my prayers may come before thee as incense; and as thou wouldst hear me calling upon thee in my prayers, so give me grace to hear thee calling on me in thy word, that it may be wisdom, righteousness, reconciliation and peace to the saving of the soul in the day of the Lord Jesus. Grant that I may hear it with reverence, receive it with meekness, mingle it with faith, and that it may accomplish in me, Gracious God, the good work for which thou has sent it. Bless my family, kindred, friends and country, be our God & guide this day and for ever for his sake, who lay down in the Grave and arose again for us, Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.

Not sure how much more Christian you can get than this.

I think the painting is well done. If you click onto the image, a new window will open up, and from there you can mouse around the full painting and read the artists’ captions on each of the paintings’ characters.

mixed feelings…

this country was founded on religious principles but they have been protestant ones… for the most part… the Catholic Church has been persecuted here in the US ever since Day One…

still this country is more Christian than most…

and yet… sometimes i wonder… Roe v Wade… I rest my freaking case…

I’m not even so sure i believe in the Civil War anymore… i think the states should have been allowed to secede… sometimes i think that… The NOrth could have boycotted the South or something… I just hate war. ITs so unCatholic…

anyhow… like i said, i had mixed feelings…

That Jesus is a pretty good one but again, he sure looks Protestant… :smiley:

I had to look in to this because my christian university explained that Washington was a Deist.

There are multiple reputable sites that report him as being Deist, as well as an Episocopal christian.

Same quagmire exists on the prayer Journal. Several reputable websites say this journal is more than likely a hoax as the handwriting doesn’t match.

Since there is no real answer to the question, I am going to retract my statement that he was a Deist. However, there is no conclusive evidence that he was a christian, as any faith he did have he kept rather quiet about, and experts disagree as to the authenticity of the prayer journal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.