What attracts Catholics to anti-Catholic forums?

The title pretty much speaks for itself, but please note that I’m not asking what *repels *Catholics from anti-Catholic forums.

Oh, and Protestants are welcome to answer too. (Just to be nice. :))

Either a masochistic desire to see oneself as a victim, or a naive belief that the person can talk them out of their foolish beliefs. Or simply trollery, which is against Catholic teachings, and scripture-- 2 Timothy 2:23. It puts us in a bad light.

That said, I participate in forums where people often express anti-Catholic sentiment. However, I just ignore those posters. No use to try to change them, let God do that.

We must vanquish the heretics.

They actually have a desire to be Catholic, but cannot bring themselves to admit it.

I don’t know the answer to your question but I do have another question - Why does a non-Catholic (or anti-Catholic) participate in Catholic forums? I understand there may be non-Catholics seeking answers regarding Catholicism or are answering a nudge from the Holy Spirit but the ones I question are the ones who come to Catholic forums and attempt to tell us what we believe.

I mean, really, I’m Catholic and will always be, so I don’t go to other faith’s forums to tell them what they believe.

I don’t know you terribly well, Jerusha, but reading this ^^ makes me feel a certain kinship with you. :slight_smile:

You’re forgetting one: evangelization. That is, giving a reason for your hope (see 1 Peter 3:15-16), and letting the Holy Spirit work on the person’s heart. And that, of course, is neither ‘naive’ nor ‘against Catholic teachings’. :wink:

It all depends on the virulence of the anti-Catholics, and their proportion in the forum in question. Some lurkers and moderates (not moderators LOL) may end up being disgusted by those posters, and seek more information on our POV.

Respect for others’ beliefs should be paramount.

The anti-Catholic conception of what Catholicism is about is a parody of Catholicism.

I have enough to deal with anti-Catholic sentiment at times here. I would not go to an anti-Catholic forum at all. Not all Protestants are anti-Catholic so I may go to a good Protestant forum just to see what their thinking is. I would not ask leading questions though. I find that extremely irritating. If I do not know the answer, I will ask but I am not interested in pretending to be ignorant when I am not.

I suppose that some Catholics who visit anti-Catholic forums do so with the idea that they may do some good and change a few minds. Also, it would be a good place to test one’s knowledge of Catholic reasoning and doctrine. If one does not know what they believe, they would soon learn they need to study.

Opposites attract.

Meltzerboy is not a Catholic but he is certainly not anti-Catholic. He makes a great addition to our forum family. He respects our beliefs, he shares his when asked. He certainly knows a lot more about the Catholic Faith than your average Catholic. We are blessed to have him here.

True. :thumbsup:

So does that mean that if you’re a reasonable person then you’re going to look for unreasonable people to dialogue with?

I stop by an anti Catholic forum form time to time to see if there are any new complaints about “us.” It’s always just the same ole, same ole.

Mary.

1 Peter 3:15 says that we are to give a reason for our hope when we are called to account for it.

Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, (1 Peter 3:15)

We are all called to evangelize but 1 Peter 3:15 is about having a response when asked why we have hope in the afterlife. It isn’t about going out to make converts.

-Tim-

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus didn’t commission the apostles to go out and mingle.

For me: To get familiar with the arguments out there and practice my apologetics. Should I ever encounter an anti-Catholic face to face, I’ll be better prepared to defend the faith. It’s also a great way to practice charity and humility in virulent situations. I like to be challenged and learn more about my own faith that way.

Still got a lot to learn…

The best thing, I would think, would be to act lovingly towards them

That makes sense, but couldn’t you do that at any Non-Catholic forum? Why go to one that’s anti-Catholic?

What do you mean by ‘to act lovingly’?

I guess I want to be prepared for the worst

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.