What attributes did Jesus see in Peter for running His Church?

I believe Peter was chosen by Jesus because

1. God chose the men that were going to be his Disciples and of course Peter was one of them
  2. Jesus saw in him an innocence and eagerness the please him
  3. Peter is like many of us. Eager to learn of Love and Spirit but clumsy and irrational at times. Yet, he is still able to rethink his opinions and willing to accept criticism and critique. Signs of true leadership:takeoff:

I think it was a good move to have choose a man his was in his inner circle. But Peter did show leadership right away and he was never scared to fail.

Yes, I think it was his leadership abilities. Christ could have picked John, but didn’t and used John for other things i.e. taking care of the Blessed Mother, writing the Gospel, Book of Revelation, his Epistles, etc.

I find Peter’s ability to accept Jesus as both God and the Son of God as a special attribute in Loving God.

Peter was teachable.

-Tim-

Peter showed a lot of Faith in Jesus, it was Faith given by the Father through the Holy Spirit that Jesus chose him to head His Church. Peter was predisposed with faith before he received the Holy Spirit, even though it wasn’t prefect It was Peter who stepped out of the boat in a storm to come to Jesus., even though he didn’t show enough faith,at that time , but he was the first, others stayed in the boat. After Pentecost Peter blossomed in his Faith and leadership

Yes, Peter was teachable and able to correct himself when needed. He too, as earlier mentioned, showed remarkable love and joy for Christ.

Peter’s faith and his understanding.
Matthew 16:15-16:
He said to them, “But who do you say that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

Thus did Peter express His understanding and his faith, upon which Jesus made Peter His Supreme Vicar.

It doesn’t seem that God chooses the most qualified people . Moses was hardly eloquent, yet God chose him to be his spokesman before pharaoh. Maybe it’s just a mystery.

Depends on the qualifications you’re looking for. I think Moses shared a lot of the right stuff above that people have mentioned regarding Peter.

Moses, like Peter, was teachable. Scripture says that Moses was the meekest of all men. Meek in the Bible means teachable.

Go and learn what this means, (Matthew 9:13)

Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me (Matthew 11:29)

From the fig tree learn its lesson (Matthew 24:32)

"Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples." (Luke 11:1)

It is written in the prophets, `And they shall all be taught by God.’ Every one who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me. (John 6:45)

The Jews marveled at it, saying, "How is it that this man has learning, when he has never studied?" (John 7:15)

try to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. (Ephesians 5:1)

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it (2 Timothy 3:14)

No one could learn that song except the hundred and forty-four thousand who had been redeemed from the earth. (Revelation 14:3)*

One of the roles of Apostle is that of a teacher. The Pope is the head teacher of the Church. The teacher has to first be taught. Scripture says 25 times that Jesus “sat and taught” or “entered the synagogue and taught.” Peter was teachable.

-Tim-

Jesus tells us why he chose Peter. It is because Peter said Jesus was the Messiah, the Son of God. Jesus says that this was not something Peter came up with by himself but rather was a direct revelation from God the Father. So Jesus took His cue from this revelation. It is interesting that none of the other apostles spoke up. Earlier when Peter tried to walk on the water and had to be saved by Christ the other Apostles all said that Jesus was the Son of God. But here, just a few weeks later, when asked by Jesus as to He was, they were dumbfounded. Were they purposely silenced by the Father so that Peter would respond? Maybe, but Jesus obviously saw this as a sign to establish His Church on Peter.

Election by God is election by God. The “sign of election” as noted was Reed/Rock’s comprehending Jesus the Nazarene was Messiah as revealed by the Father, and Christ’s response may indeed have been predicated on this. Or not. Christ named Simon “Peter” even before He met him. “Rock” is no small name change, a name attributed to Abraham, a name attributed to God Himself. The graffiti picture in Rome of Peter is a muscular man with a thick neck and balding. So beloved was Peter and so rich his influence that a century after his death, it is written his memory was so fresh in people’s minds that it is as if he were still alive.

good observation.

yes You, are correct. Our man peter made mistakes and did not oddly ask questions. rather, he chose to let Abba grows His fruit in the depths of peter despite the gentleman’s ( numerous ) faults. Jesus kept bumping into Simon peter and choose of him because though he as You mentioned remains with Our lord God innocently.

God bless You

• john

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.